April 21, 2018
Baseball Latest News | Poll Questions | NEA Poetry Suit | Kenduskeag Stream Race | Maine Legislature

Weekend Maine college roundup, track and field: Bates’ Pless wins title


Track and Field

Bates men finish fifth at NCAAs

NAPERVILLE, Ill. — David Pless established himself as Bates College’s first eight-time All-American male athlete, as well as one of the greats in Division III track and field history, in claiming his third consecutive NCAA indoor shot put title on Saturday.

Bates capped the 2013 NCAA Division III Indoor Track & Field Championships Saturday at North Central College with James LePage’s (Cumberland, Maine) record-breaking fourth-place finish in the 800 meters.

Pless’s performance, along with his second-place finish on Friday in the weight throw, fueled Bates to fifth place among the 62 teams that scored points at the meet. Only the Wisconsin foursome of Wisconsin-La Crosse, -Oshkosh, -Whitewater and -Eau Claire outscored the Bobcats’ 23 points. Tufts and Worcester State were the next-best teams from New England, both tying for 13th place with 10 points.

Pless (Atlanta, Ga.) joins a short list of 18 other athletes who have won three or more NCAA DIII indoor titles. Only two other men have claimed three shot put titles: Terry Strouf of Wisconsin-La Crosse (1986-88) and Bobby Riley of Wisconsin-La Crosse (2007-09) — and among them, Pless is the record-holder.

Pless’s top effort of 60 feet and 3 inches, or 18.36 meters, came on his first throw in the finals, 19 3/4 inches beyond runner-up Fred Fulton’s best and final throw of the day. It was only nine centimeters short of the meet record Pless established a year ago, and he also broke a facility record for the second time in the meet. (Pless broke his own Bates record in the event at 61-0.25 in January.)

The Bobcats finished an agonizing ninth place — one spot away from scoring points and earning All-America status — in three events, including junior Tully Hannan’s (West Hartford, Conn.)showing in Saturday’s final in the mile. The two-time cross country All-American beat his personal-best time, which was set on BU’s banked track, crossing the finish line in 4:12.93, moving himself into sixth place on Bates’ all-time performance list in the event. Hannan leaped four places above his 13th and final seeding in the event.

Sophomore Sean Enos (Lynnfield, Mass.) capped a very impressive NCAA Championship debut by joining his buddy Pless in the finals in the shot put and also placing ninth, at 55-1.5.

LePage set Bates’ record in the 800 meters for the second time this season with his fourth-place time of 1:51.08. (Earlier in the season he ran 1:51.59 on BU’s banked track, breaking Ossie Chapman’s 83-year-old record in the event, based on a converted 880-yard time.) LePage led at the halfway mark before giving way to champion Jake Waterman of Wabash (1:50.30), and finished directly behind the the top three, .14 seconds behind third-place Sean Royer of La Crosse. LePage was the seventh seed in the event to start with; he and the other top five runners in the event broke the facility record.

In Friday’s portion of the meet, Bates’ team-record eight-athlete contingent at NCAAs produced a second-place finish for Pless in the weight throw, a ninth-place performance in the distance medley relay, and Enos’s 11th-place showing in the weight.

USM’s Desmond 8th in 800

NAPERVILLE, Ill. — University of Southern Maine sophomore Kevin Desmond (Monmouth, Maine/Monmouth Academy) became the fourth athlete in the history of the Huskies’ men’s indoor track and field program to earn All-American honors as he finished eighth in the 800 meters at the NCAA Division III Indoor Track and Field Championships being held at the Al B. Carius Track–Residence Hall/Recreation Center on the campus of North Central College.

In Saturday’s 800-meter final, Desmond crossed the finish line in two-minutes, 1.97 seconds to place eighth. Desmond qualified for the final by posting the seventh fastest time (1:53.04) in the trials on Friday. Senior Jake Waterman of Wabash was the champion with a time of the 1:50.30.

Desmond gives the Huskies’ indoor team an All-America for the second straight year joining teammate Ben Manning as Division III indoor All-Americans in the 800. Wil Snyder (2004-pole vault) and Anthony Stanton (2010-high jump) are the Huskies’ other indoor All-Americans.

Also on Saturday, sophomore Jamie Ruginski (Buxton, Maine/Bonny Eagle) placed ninth in the triple jump missing All-American honors by eight centimeters (2¾ inches). Ruginski had a mark of 14.58 meters (47-10) coming on the third of his six attempts. Senior Isaac Vazquez of the University of Wisconsin-La Crosse, the defending champion, won the event for the second straight year with a jump of 15.63 meters (51-3 ½).


UMaine shut out Sunday

CLEARWATER, Fla. — The University of Maine softball squad (1-18) closed out the weekend with a 4-0 loss to Fordham (11-9) on Sunday afternoon at the Eddie C. Moore Complex. Kristen Koslosky (Castro Valley, Calif.), Jessica Burk (Warrenton, Va.) and Stephanie Wood (Florence, N.J.) each recorded hits for the Black Bears.

The Rams jumped out to an early 2-0 lead with a pair of runs in the bottom of the first. With two outs and two on in the inning, Fordham’s Michele Daubman reached on an error, allowing Elise Fortier and Jamie LaBovick to score the game’s first runs.

Chelsea Palumbo added a run in the Rams’ half of the fourth inning with a solo home run to left and would tack on another unearned run when Taylor Pirone scored in the bottom of the sixth, extending the lead to 4-0, a lead the Rams would not relinquish.

Maine’s best opportunity came in the top of the sixth. Koslosky worked a walk to start the inning and advanced to second when Makaila Kowalsky (Colchester, Conn.) reached on an error from the second baseman. However, the Rams would escape the jam, keeping Maine scoreless.

Alexis Bogdanovich (Sourth Portland, Maine) takes the loss in the circle for Maine as she went six innings while giving up four runs, one earned, on six hits with a pair of strikeouts and no walks.

Michelle Daubman gets the win for the Rams as she went five innings while giving up three hits with four strikeouts. Taylor Pirone picks up the save in relief as she went two innings with two strikeouts.

Maine returns to the diamond on Tuesday, March 12 when it takes on Quinnipiac at 2:30 and South Florida at 7 p.m.

UMaine loses twice

CLEARWATER, Fla. — The University of Maine softball team dropped its doubleheader on Saturday at the Eddie C. Moore Complex. Maine fell in game one to Southern Illinois University Edwardsville 13-0 in five innings and dropped the nightcap to Penn State 3-0.

In game one, the Cougars jumped out to an early 3-0 lead in the top of the first. Maine threatened in the bottom of the first as EmJ Fogel (Vienna, Va.) worked a two out walk. Hilary Kane (Concord, N.H.) followed with a double to left center, advancing Fogel to third. However, the Black Bears couldn’t plate the run and were retired in the first.

SIUE added six runs in the top of the third, extending its lead to 9-0, before tacking on four more runs in the fifth to lead 13-0, a score which would stand. Kane led the Black Bear offense with a pair of doubles against the Cougars.

Beth Spoehr (Appleton, Wis.) pitched the first 2.1 innings for Maine, giving up seven runs on eight hits with one strikeout before Kylie Sparks (Kirkland, Wash.) threw the final 2.2 innings in relief. Sparks surrendered six runs, five earned, on 10 hits with one strikeout.

In game two, Maine held close with Penn State as the Nittany Lions broke a 0-0 tie with a single run in the bottom of the third on a RBI single up the middle from Macy Jones.

Maine looked to knot the score when Makaila Kowalsky (Colchester, Conn.) ripped a single into left field. With two outs in the inning, Kowalsky swiped second. However, the Black Bears were unable to drive Kowalsky in as the inning ended.

Penn State added a pair of runs in the bottom of the fifth, extending its lead to 3-0. Maine looked to cut away at the lead as Jessica Burk (Warrenton, Va.) led off the top of the seventh with a single up the middle. Burk advanced to second after Jenny MacDowell (Littleton, Mass.) was hit by a pitch but that would be as far as she would get as the Nittany Lions retired the side, taking the game 3-0.

Maine and Penn State each had five hits while Kowalsky and Burk each had two. Kowalsky added a stolen base. Hannah Hill (Fryeburg, Maine) worked six innings in the circle for Maine while giving up three runs, one earned, on five hits with four strikeouts.

Men’s Hockey

Utica 4, Bowdoin 2

UTICA, N.Y. – One of the finest seasons in Bowdoin men’s ice hockey history came to a close in a 4-2 loss to Utica in the NCAA Quarterfinals on Saturday night.

The Polar Bears (23-4-2) finish their year with a program-record 23 victories, the NESCAC Championship and third NCAA Quarterfinal appearance in the last four seasons. Utica advances to the Division III semifinals next Friday night in Lake Placid against Wisconsin-Eau Claire.

Bowdoin got off to a great start, skating to a two-goal, first-period lead on scores just two minutes apart. Ollie Koo found the back of the net at 11:38 before Harry Matheson doubled Bowdoin’s lead at 13:55.

Utica was able to get one back just 45 seconds into the second period as Jordan Hobaica brought the Pioneers within one goal. Bowdoin was able to kill off three penalties in the period, however, and maintained a 2-1 lead heading to the final frame.

Trevor Hertz knotted the game for Utica 3:28 into the final period but then the contest settled into a back-and-forth heavyweight bout as the teams traded great chances. Finally, with just 4:24 remaining, Ridge Garbutt put Utica ahead for good. Eric Peterson added an empty-netter with 53 seconds remaining to seal the win.

Matheson had an assist as well for Bowdoin. Evan Chlanda had three assists for Utica. Max Fenkell had 21 saves in goal for Bowdoin while Mark Therrien stopped 27 for the Pioneers. Bowdoin held a 29-25 edge in shots as the teams combined to go 0-8 on the power play (Bowdoin 0-3, Utica 0-5).

Women’s Hockey

Elmira 4, Bowdoin 0

BRUNSWICK, Maine – Lauren Sullivan made 37 saves in her tenth shutout of the season to lead the Elmira College women’s ice hockey team to a 4-0 win over Bowdoin in the NCAA Quarterfinals Saturday night at Watson Arena.

The Soaring Eagles (22-5-1) advance to the NCAA semifinals next week in Superior, Wis. where they will face Gustavus Adolphus on Friday. The Polar Bears end a fantastic season with a mark of 21-5-2, recording the most wins in a season for the program since 2003 and earning the team’s first NESCAC Championship since 2004.

Despite Bowdoin owning a 13-5 shot advantage during the opening period of play, Elmira applied significant offensive pressure during the final ten minutes, resulting in several strong scoring opportunities. With 7:42 remaining, Taylor Steadman hit the post after Bowdoin goalie Kayla Lessard caught a piece of the puck, redirecting it. Four minutes later Steadman pulled Lessard to the right post before dumping a pass to Ashton Hogan on the left. Hogan’s shot sailed wide of the net. With just 1:16 remaining in the first, Erin Weston notched Elmira’s first goal of the contest. Ashley Ryan pulled the puck out of Bowdoin’s right corner and connected with Weston as she skated into the low slot and flipped a backhand over Lessard’s glove.

Elmira doubled its lead just 3:43 into the second period. Brooke Wilgosh ripped a shot from the top of the right circle past Lessard’s glove to go ahead 2-0. The Soaring Eagles had the opportunity to go up 3-0 but were spoiled by a point blank save by Lessard. Steadman skated into a 1-on-1 on Bowdoin’s net and wristed a shot from just outside the crease, but Lessard was able to block and cover the puck. Bowdoin looked to get on the board with 6:23 remaining in the period when Madeline Lane hit the crossbar with a slapshot from the point.

The Soaring Eagles opened the final period with their third goal of the game 3:33 in. Samantha Curk sent a long pass from the top of the right circle to the opposite post where Madison Johnston one-timed the puck to the same side of the net. With 12:07 remaining on the clock Lessard denied Elmira a fourth goal with a split save at the right post.

Bowdoin had 1:22 5-on-3 advantage following a pair of Elmira penalties. The Polar Bears pulled their goal to pressure the Soaring Eagle defense with six players, but were unable to convert. Elmira sealed the win with 2:09 remaining on the clock. Ryan sat on the right post where she received a quick pass from Cassidy Delainey just beyond the crease.

Lessard made a vailiant effort in goal with 21 saves for the Polar Bears. Bowdoin was 0-for-5 on the power play for the night while the Eagles went 1-3.

Men’s Lacrosse

Bates 10, Amherst 9 (OT)

LEWISTON, Maine — Dan Hines ripped home the game-winning goal with 2:22 remaining in overtime as the Bates men’s lacrosse team scored a 10-9 NESCAC victory over Amherst College on Sunday afternoon at Garcelon Field.

Bates (1-2, 1-1 NESCAC) picked up its first win in the young season, while Amherst (0-2, 0-2) remained winless.

Hines ended Amherst’s 3-0 run and capped a dramatic sequence with the game-winner. With 3:12 left in overtime, Bates goalie Dan Bell turned away Dylan Park’s close-range shot. The ball caromed out of the crease and the Bobcats gained three ground balls — one apiece by Andrew Berry, Steven Hild and Torben Noto — before they could get out of their defensive third. The Bobcats cleared and the offense settled momentarily before Hines hesitated, turned and shot at about a 30-degree angle over his left shoulder past Amherst goalie Rob Dickinson.

Rob Highland and Will Gilkeson scored three goals apiece for Bates; Jack Strain tallied two goals and one assist, and Hines added the goal and two assists. In a game in which each one mattered, Bates won 13 of 23 faceoffs and 45 of 80 ground balls, led by Mac Jackson’s whopping 11 GB’s. Dan Bell, who made his collegiate debut in yesterday’s 10-8 loss to Middlebury, made 10 saves en route to his first win.

Devin Acton scored four goals and assisted on another for the Lord Jeffs. Park added two goals, and Quinn Moroney added another to go with a game-high three assists. Dickinson made 12 saves, as Bates outshot Amherst by a slight 36-33 margin in the evenly played contest.

The game saw at least five major momentum swings. Amherst quickly erased Bates’ 1-0 lead with two goals by Acton inside the opening four minutes. The Bobcats shored up their defense for the remainder of the quarter, then embarked on a quick 3-0 run for a 4-2 lead after one.

The Lord Jeffs controlled the second quarter for the most part, outshooting Bates 12-9 and evening up the game at 5-5 by halftime.

Amherst made it a 4-0 run 1:14 into the third quarter, as Jeff Izzo’s goal from Kane Haffey gave the Jeffs a 6-4 lead.

But a quick answer by the Bobcats initiated Bates’ game-deciding 5-0 streak. Paul Donovan won the ensuing faceoff, getting his own ground ball, and half a minute later he turned and scored from close range on an assist by Nick Ford, only 36 seconds after Izzo’s tally.

Donovan won the next faceoff, controlled by Karl Rickett, and Bates kept possession for two minutes before Highland charged into a pass from Hines and scored a man-up goal from a head-on angle.

Gilkeson followed Highland’s team-leading eighth goal with his fifth goal of the season on an assist by Jack Strain, returning the lead to Bates at 7-6. Jack Allard won a ground ball after Conor Henrie’s shot was saved by Dickinson, and with 1:57 to go in the third period, he flipped to Strain for the finish and an 8-6 lead for the Bobcats.

Gilkeson scored his sixth goal with 10:45 left in the fourth period, giving Bates a game-high three-goal lead at 9-6. But after Amherst won the next faceoff, a holding penalty against Bates was converted into a man-up goal by Acton, his fourth score of the game, on another Moroney assist, only 63 seconds after Bates’ goal. Dickinson saved a shot by Bates’ Kyle Starr, and the Jeffs patiently set up a shot by Park shot that went wide. The Jeffs maintained possession and with 5:47 left, Park connected on a Moroney assist, closing the gap to 9-8.

Bates took two off-target shots, then turned the ball over with 2:55 left in regulation, and with 2:11 remaining Park tied the game with an unassisted tally. Bates won the next faceoff but turned the ball over. Amherst called timeout with 58 seconds to go in regulation but couldn’t get off a shot before losing control in Bates’ defensive zone. Acton scooped the ground ball and fired off a wide shot just before regulation time expired.

Colby 11, Amherst 10

WATERVILLE, Maine —- Colby College All-American Ian Deveau (Portsmouth, R.I.) made sure his team was going to win the one-goal game with Amherst College this year, scoring with 1:05 left in the first overtime session to give the Mules a thrilling 11-10 win on Saturday in the NESCAC men’s lacrosse season opener for both teams.

The Lord Jeffs had taken an overtime win over Colby two years ago on Bill Alfond Field and also won by one score last year at Amherst. The Lord Jeffs came into this game ranked sixth in the latest New England Intercollegiate Lacrosse Association (NEILA) poll, while the Mules were ranked ninth.

Colby’s Chip Grossman, who tied the game in regulation at 10-10 with just 1:02 to play, casually flipped the ball to Deveau on the game-winning play. Deveau ripped a blistering shot high and past Amherst goalie Rob Dickinson (Memphis, Tenn.) to set off a wild celebration.

John Jennings (Danvers, Mass.) scored five goals to lead Colby. He went over 100 career points in the game and now has 93 goals and nine assists for 102 points. Greg McKillop (Washington, D.C.) added one goal and three assists, while first-year John Alex Rutan (Walnut Creek, Calif.) had his first collegiate goal.

Dylan Park (Charlottesville, Va.) had a fine debut for Amherst, scoring twice and dishing two assists in his first collegiate game. Devin Acton (Sudbury, Mass.), Jeff Izzo (Plandome, N.Y.), Kane Haffey (Duxbury, Mass.), and Sam Lawlor (St. Davids, Pa.) also had two goals apiece for Amherst.

Colby (1-0 overall, 1-0 NESCAC) started the game with four goals in the opening 4:48 of the contest and the Mules might have been thinking blowout. McKillop scored just 38 seconds into the game on a nice individual effort on a drive to the goal. Rutan made it 2-0 with 12:52 to play when he took a pass from Christian Kelso (Summit, N.J.) and converted on a break opportunity. Jennings then scored from McKillop with 12:03 left and added an unassisted goal with 10:12 remaining.

Amherst (0-1, 0-1), though, settled down and received back-to-back unassisted goals by Park with 9:05 left and Acton on a nice rush to the goal with 6:47 remaining.

Deveau scored on a breakaway after McKillop caused a turnover on an attempted Amherst clear, pushing the lead to 5-2 with 5:06 left.

The Lord Jeffs made it a 5-4 game after one quarter with two goals in the final 43 seconds of play. Lawlor scored his first collegiate goal with 43 seconds left and Acton followed with another score just 17 seconds later.

The teams split goals in the second quarter and the Mules led 6-5 at halftime. Jennings again scored from McKillop with 6:34 to play, but Izzo tallied from Park with 2:19 left.

Colby scored quickly again to start the half on a goal by Jennings just 27 seconds into play for a 7-5 margin. The Lord Jeffs again cut the lead to one on Park’s second goal of the game. Deveau made it 8-6 after three quarters on a high blast that looked similar to his overtime score.

Haffey notched his first collegiate goal for the Lord Jeffs to cut the margin to 8-7 on Park’s second assist of the game. Jennings moved the lead back to two at 9-7 when he may have scored the easiest of his 93 career goals. A ball was deflected to him near the right post, he scooped it up, and shoveled it into a wide open net with 12:44 remaining.

Amherst took control starting with Izzo’s second goal with 7:25 to play. The Lord Jeffs tied the game at 9-9 with 3:48 to play on Lawlor’s second goal and then took their first lead of the game at 10-9 on a pretty goal by Haffey. Acton made a nice feed to Haffey as he was going hard to the goal and he slammed a shot in for the lead.

Colby face-off man Bjorn Knutson (Bloomington, Minn.) won a big face-off after the Amherst score and Grossman took a pass from McKillop and ripped another high shot in for the tying goal. Knutson, who was injured shortly after the Grossman goal, was 12-for-23 on face-offs and scooped up a game-high 12 ground balls. Eric Eberhart (Rye Beach, N.H.) won the overtime face-off in place of Knutson.

Kelso led Colby’s defense with a pair of caused turnovers, while Peter Willauer (Duxbury, Mass.) had three ground balls.

Danny Gold (Medfield, Mass.) led Amherst with three caused turnovers and John Gibbons (San Francisco, Calif.) won seven face-offs and had five ground balls.

Peter Reiley (Marblehead, Mass.) finished with 12 saves for Colby, while Dickinson overcame a tough start to finish with 11 stops.

Women’s Lacrosse

UMaine-Farmington 19, Wheelock 12

WATERVILLE, Maine – University of Maine at Farmington freshman Mara Balboni (Oakland, Maine/Messalonskee) notched six goals and one assist in her collegiate debut to lead the Beavers to a 19-12 victory over Wheelock College, in women’s lacrosse action Saturday afternoon at Colby College’s Bill Alfond Field.

The win was the first by UMaine-Farmington (1-0) in a season opener in the five-year history of the program.

Sophomore Maddi Kadnar (Oakland, Maine/Messalonskee) tacked on five goals with one assists for the Beavers, while freshman Ayla Allen (Rumford, Maine/Mountain Valley) charted four in her first collegiate contest. Freshman Lyndsey Grundy (Haverhill, Mass./Haverhill) finished with three goals plus one assist, while Emily Higgins (Saco, Maine/Thornton Academy) logged one goal.

Sophomore Emma Marrs (Old Lyme, Conn./Lyme-Old Lyme) led Wheelock (0-1) with four goals, while sophomore Molly Centore (Kennebunk, Maine/Kennebunk) charged two goals plus an assist. Anna Shuqom (Brookline, Mass./Brookline) and Nancy Crowell (Meredith, N.H./Inter-Lakes) each logged two goals for the Wildcats, while Christina Cubera (Baltimore, Md./The Park School) and Kaitlyn Donnelly (Atkinson, N.H./Timberlane Regional) each recorded one goal.

UMaine-Farmington outshot Wheelock 34-28, while UMF goalie Hannah Goodenow (Freeport, Maine/Freeport) recording 12 saves. Monica Bettle (Pembroke, Mass./Pembroke) charted seven saves in the Wheelock goal.

Colby 10, Amherst 7

AMHERST, Mass. —- Lindsey McKenna scored three goals and a pair of first-year players made an immediate impact to help the seventh-ranked Colby College women’s lacrosse team to a 10-7 win over eighth-ranked Amherst College on Saturday at Gooding Field.

First-years Dana Swaffield and Abby Hooper both scored two goals for Colby (1-0 overall, 1-0 NESCAC). Sophomore Sara Miller added one goal and one assist.

Priscilla Tyler paced Amherst (0-1, 0-1) with four goals, including three in a row to tie the game at 6-6.

Tied 6-6 midway through the second half Swaffield broke the deadlock to give the Mules the lead for good.

Jumping out to a fast start, All-American McKenna netted the visitors’ first goal of 2013 off a Katharine Eddy feed at 27:25. Less than four minutes later, Tyler tallied the Jeffs’ first goal of the year with an unassisted score at 23:41. McKenna is up to 91 goals and 13 assists for 104 career points.

Regaining the lead, the Mules struck again just over a minute later when Abby Hatch found Tess Petesch for a score inside of the 23-minute mark. Randall tied the game at 19:42, but a free-position Hooper goal followed by a Kate Pistel score off a McKenna pass just 39 seconds later staked Colby to a two-point margin. Pistel, Colby’s two-time All-American, is up to 84 goals in her career.

Up 5-3 later in the period, Eddy once again linked up with McKenna, who notched her second of two consecutive goals just 2:14 apart. With time winding down in the first half, Haugton took the ball behind the net for Amherst before dishing to Tyler in front, who ripped a shot in with 36 seconds on the clock.

Picking up right where she left off starting the second, Tyler brought Amherst within one just 5:12 into the frame, before finishing a nice wrap-around goal that suddenly pulled the home team even with 18:58 left in regulation.

Hoping to regain the momentum, Swaffield kicked off the decisive 4-0 Colby run just over three minutes later, rifling a hard shot into the right corner past Katelyn Salerno, who relieved starter Christy Forrest in the Amherst net late in the first half. Swaffield then assisted on sophomore Sara Miller’s goal at 10:53 before Hooper and Swaffield tacked on a pair of scores in the final two minutes to bolster the Colby margin. Hillary Densen ’13 wrapped up the scoring for Amherst with a goal just before the final buzzer.


St. Joseph’s sweeps R.I. College

AUBURNDALE, FL – Saint Joseph’s College (2-0) kicked off the 2013 campaign with a pair of convincing victories over Rhode Island College (0-3) in RussMatt Central Florida Invitational baseball action on Saturday morning. The Monks opened the year with a 9-1 triumph and closed out opening day with an 11-0, five-inning win over the Anchormen.

Saint Joseph’s, ranked 12th in the latest D3baseball.com national poll, excelled in all facets of the game en route to scoring the most runs in the first two games of the season since 2010, when the Royal Blue bested Clark College by a combined 24-10 score.

Junior right fielder Alex Lorenc (Nanuet, N.Y.) paced the SJC offense by going 6-7 with a run, a double and six RBI and senior first baseman Mike Pratt (Dartmouth, Mass.) went 4-7 with four runs, three doubles and seven RBI in the twinbill sweep. Junior center fielder and lead-off hitter Louie Vigars (Stratham, N.H.), stepping into a starting role for the first time in his career, sparked the Monks by going 3-7 with three runs and a pair of RBI.

As anticipated, pitching proved to be one of the team’s fortes as four St. Joe’s hurlers combined to yield just one earned run off five hits and a pair of walks over 12 innings. Senior Tyler Laverriere (Biddeford, Maine) was dominant in the opener, tossing six innings of two-hit, one run ball with four strikeouts and two walks, and freshman Riley Cox (Westford, Mass.) closed out the 9-1 triumph with a perfect 1-2-3 seventh inning.

Junior Joe Gruntkosky (Peabody, Mass.) followed suit in the nightcap by working four scoreless frames with three K’s and two hits allowed and sophomore Dan Meeken (Marshfield, Mass.) fanned a pair in a clean fifth inning to cap the day’s action.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like