Jury finds Bangor man not guilty of stabbing 2 men outside Waterville bar

Posted March 02, 2013, at 2:13 p.m.
Albe Lagasse
Albe Lagasse

AUGUSTA, Maine — A Kennebec County jury found a Bangor man not guilty Friday of stabbing two men on April 26 outside the Chez Paree bar on Water Street in Waterville.

Albe Lagasse, 45, was indicted by the Kennebec County grand jury in September on two counts of aggravated assault, both Class B crimes, according to the district attorney’s office.

The two men recovered from their injuries.

Lagasse’s defense attorney, Zachary Brandmeir of Bangor, told jurors that his client was the person who was attacked. The lawyer said Saturday in an email that there were major inconsistencies between the story one victim told police in May 2012, which was recorded on audio tape, and the one he told investigators last month. The most recent interview was videotaped, the defense attorney said.

Surveillance cameras inside and outside the bar, located in the city’s south end, also helped the defense prove its case, Brandmeir said.

“The video shows that Mr. Lagasse left two full minutes after [the victims] left the bar,” the attorney said. “Another major point in the trial was when we showed video footage from the bar’s outside smoking area that showed the shadows of three people — we argued [it was the] two victims and a friend — headed back and forth from the scene of the stabbing three times and over three minutes after [one victim] had left the bar.”

It is the practice of the Bangor Daily News not to identify the victims of crimes. One of the victims, a 19-year-old from Waterville, is serving a seven-year sentence at the Maine State Prison in Warren after being convicted of a robbery at a Rite Aid Pharmacy in Waterville in August, according to a previously published report.

Lagasse was not released when the verdict was announced but is being held at the Kennebec County Jail on a warrant out of Massachusetts, according to District Attorney Maeghan Maloney. He is charged in the Bay State with three counts of assault and battery with a dangerous weapon, one count of assault with a dangerous weapon and one count of indecent assault and battery on a person 14 or older.

The charges stem from an incident in Plymouth County, Mass., on July 4, 2011, according to information posted on the website Cape Cod Today. Details about the alleged incident were not available Saturday. Lagasse was listed on the website as a resident of Pocasset, Mass., a town on the southeastern edge of Cape Cod.

Lagasse was sentenced in December following a trial in Penobscot County to 60 days in jail for carrying a concealed weapon, Brandmeir said Sunday. Lagasse was arrested on that charge July 7, 2012, by Bangor police after a knife was found on his person, according to a previously published report.

According to the Bangor Daily News archives, Lagasse was sentenced in late 2006 to three years in prison for aggravated assault and three years for assault. At that time, his address was listed at Pocasset, Mass.

In May 2005, he was sentenced to 35 days in jail for criminal threatening, 35 days for terrorizing and to two days in jail for failure to appear in court after being bailed out of jail. He lived in Corinth at the time.

Also in 2005, Lagasse was ordered to pay a $200 fine for failing to appear in court after being bailed out of jail, $500 for driving while under the influence, $300 for driving without a license and $150 for failure to register a vehicle. He was living in Bangor at the time.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Mid-Maine