June 20, 2018
Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Immigration | Lumber Market | RCV Ballots

Presque Isle hockey team knocks off Brewer

By Matt Soucy, Special to the BDN

BREWER, Maine — The sixth seeded Presque Isle High School ice hockey team outlasted third seed Brewer Tuesday afternoon at Penobscot Ice Arena in an overtime thriller as Michael Michaud buried the game-winner 46 seconds into overtime to complete a hat trick and push the Wildcats past the Witches 7-6 in an Eastern Maine Class B quarterfinal.

Tyler Seeley chipped in the assist on the goal.

Presque Isle advances to the semifinal round Saturday against No. 2 John Bapst of Bangor at Sukee Arena in Winslow. John Bapst defeated No. 7 Lawrence of Fairfield 4-1 at Sawyer Arena in Bangor.

Presque Isle’s Tyler Seeley circled with the puck below the net and as he reached the right post, he pushed the puck from below the goal line through the crease where Michaud was waiting to snap the puck into the back of the net for the overtime winner.

“It was crazy,” said Michaud. “Tyler came around the net and passed it to me and I just closed my eyes and shot, I went five-hole I think, I didn’t see.”

Michaud chipped in two assists along with his three goals as he paced the Presque Isle offensive attack.

The Wildcats jumped out to a 4-1 lead after one period of play, but Brewer battled back to tie the game at 5-5 at the 2:33 mark of the third period as Spencer Valley tallied the goal to knot the game up on assists from Gabe Valley and Jake Caron.

Presque Isle pulled ahead 6-5 late in the third period at the 13:33 mark as Andrew Michaud netted the go-ahead goal on an assist from Seeley, but the Witches rallied again as Spencer Valley completed a hat trick just 48 seconds later at the 14:01 mark to tie the game at 6-6 as play headed to overtime.

“We found a way to pull it out,” Presque Isle coach Carl Flynn said. “There were many times in that game I thought we were in trouble.”

Presque Isle outshot Brewer 47-28.

“There was a lot of heart out there to come back twice like that and chase and chase like that,” Brewer coach David Shedd said. “Ultimately that first period killed us.”

Wildcats goalie Jillian Flynn turned away 22 of the 28 shots she faced. Patrick Spaulding stopped 40 of 47 shots for the Witches.

Adam Flynn staked Presque Isle to a 1-0 lead at the 4:02 mark of the first period as he beat Spaulding to the right with a quick snap shot for an unassisted goal.

The Wildcats capitalized on a five minute major penalty for boarding at the 6:37 mark of the first as Michaud netted back-to-back goals on the man advantage at the 7:04 and 10:17 mark of the first period respectively, pushing the Presque Isle lead to 3-0.

Gehrig White pulled the Witches within 3-1 at the 13:19 mark of the first as he knocked a one- time pass from Gabe Valley at the left post into the back of the net. Zach Torrey picked up an assist as well.

Seeley pushed the Presque Isle lead back to three goals at the 14:02 mark of the first as he dove and extended himself full length to knock a loose rebound in the crease into the back of the net following a shot by Michaud, giving the Wildcats a 4-1 lead as teams headed into the first intermission.

Back-to-back Brewer goals at the 4:46 and 5:13 marks of the second by Torrey and Gabe Valley, respectively, cut the Wildcats leads to 4-3.

Colin McKay extended Presque Isle to a 5-3 lead at the 8:30 mark of the second as he cut from the right outer hash to the slot and roofed a backhanded wrist shot into the net.

Spencer Valley’s goal at the 8:43 mark of the second left the score at 5-4 in favor of the Wildcats as teams headed into the second intermission.

The teams traded goals in the third before Michaud’s winner ended the game 46 seconds into the overtime period.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like