FairPoint Communications building evacuated after oil leak

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted Feb. 25, 2013, at 3:41 p.m.

BANGOR, Maine — A downtown building was evacuated Monday morning after a reported oil leak, according to Bangor Fire Department officials.

Assistant Chief Anthony Riitano said a leak of more than 2,500 gallons forced the evacuation of the FairPoint Communications building at 59 Park St.

“We initially thought the amount leaked as much less, but we got a call from DEP [Department of Environmental Protection] later this afternoon and they said the amount was 2,500 gallons that leaked out,” Riitano said Monday evening. “But most of that leaked down a drain and was able to be collected and taken care of. They’ve got it pretty well cleaned up already.”

Riitano said the leak was cleaned up by Clean Harbors Environmental Services in Hampden.

The entire building was evacuated after the leak first was discovered. No one was injured.

The assistant chief said Department of Environmental Protection crews were at the scene Monday afternoon. Firefighters were called just before 7 a.m.

“The odor was throughout the entire building,” he said. “It was pretty bad. It was quite a bit of oil.”

Riitano said the oil leak in the furnace room of the five-story building was caused by a faulty pipe.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/02/25/news/bangor/fairpoint-communications-building-evacuated-50-gallon-oil-leak/ printed on August 27, 2014