May 22, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

Judge revokes bail of man charged in state’s largest bath salts seizure

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — A Maine District Court judge Friday revoked the bail of a local man after he was arrested three times on charges related to the trafficking of bath salts over a four week-period.

Judge Gregory Campbell ordered that Leonard D. Wells Jr., 53, of Hermon and Greenbush be held without bail pending the outcome of his case following a brief hearing at the Penobscot Judicial Center. Wells is one of four people arrested last month in the state’s largest-ever seizure of bath salts, according to a previously published report.

Wells posted $50,000 cash bail Jan. 18 after he was arrested with Steven Warren, 29, of Corinth, Elizabeth Fuentes, 31, and Arthur Coy, 49, both of Houston, Texas, at Wells’ Hermon residence at 6 New Boston Road.

All four are charged with aggravated trafficking of synthetic hallucinogens, a Class A crime. The charge is aggravated because Wells’ residence is located within 1,000 feet of a school, according to a previously published report.

The investigation in connection with their arrests resulted in Maine’s largest seizure of bath salts, according to a previously published report. A total of 24½ pounds with an estimated street value of $1.7 million has been seized. It was mailed to Maine from mainland China, police have said.

Wells’ latest brush with the law occurred Tuesday when he was arrested on warrants out of Penobscot County by Maine State troopers and Knox County Sheriff’s Department deputies at a house in South Thomaston. He was found “hiding out” there and gave law enforcement officials a false name, according to Stephen McCausland, spokesman for the Maine Department of Public Safety.

Wells’ co-defendants remained Friday at Penobscot County Jail unable to make bail. Coy’s bail was set last month at $300,000, Warren’s at $75,000 and Fuentes’ at $50,000 cash. All four defendants are scheduled to make their next court appearances at Penobscot Judicial Center in Bangor on March 7.

If convicted, each faces a maximum of 30 years in prison and a fine of up to $50,000.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like