June 24, 2018
Penobscot Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Combative Corinth man jailed with no bail after alleged domestic assault

By Andrew Neff, BDN Staff

CORINTH, Maine — After initially requesting medical attention for some cuts and gashes on his body, a Corinth man was arrested and charged with domestic violence assault, criminal mischief, obstructing the report of a crime or injury and refusal to sign a summons.

“Dispatch got a 911 call from someone [Saturday at 10 p.m.], but the phone call was disconnected. She said the boyfriend was drunk and out of control,” said Penobscot County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Mark Lloyd.

The dispatch center was able to pinpoint the location of the call and Lloyd responded to Wentworth Trailer Park in Corinth.

“I went to the address and a man opens the door as I’m walking up the driveway. He has a 6-inch cut on his bicep, a cut under his ear and he’s bleeding,” said Lloyd. “He was just wearing pajama bottoms and socks.”

The man was Chalma E. Greatorex Jr., 42, of Corinth.

Lloyd walked into the trailer, which was “absolutely trashed” with various pieces of furniture and items dented, smashed or broken.

“I could hear a woman whimpering. She was in the fetal position in the bathroom and hyperventilating. He was uncooperative. He kept saying he wanted medical treatment, very combative,” Lloyd said. “While talking to her, I got enough information to place him under arrest.”

By interviewing the woman, Lloyd determined that her live-in boyfriend was intoxicated as well as under the influence of either hallucinogenic mushrooms or acid.

After the woman went to bed, she heard some kind of commotion, Lloyd said, and Greatorex began smashing up the bedroom.

“He threw her out of the bed, and then he grabbed a piece of glass and ran it across his arm, saying that it wouldn’t hurt a Greatorex,” Lloyd said. “He smashed the telephone as she was already making the call.

“She said he then threw her up against the wall and put his forearm against her throat and threatened her about calling police.”

As Lloyd was interviewing the woman, Greatorex was becoming more and more agitated and even threatened the deputy, according to Lloyd.

In the meantime, Maine State Trooper Trevor Snow arrived at the residence to help out.

“The ambulance showed up and he didn’t want to put shoes on, so he walked out with socks on to get in ambulance,” Lloyd said. “He was uncooperative, but still wanted medical attention.”

Attendants strapped Greatorex down in the ambulance for safety and took him to Eastern Maine Medical Center, where he refused treatment.

“He kept saying he wanted his lawyer,” Lloyd said. “They signed him off to leave the hospital, we took him to jail, but then he refused to sign the summons, so that’s another class E crime on top of the other three charges.”

One of the charges, domestic assault, was a Class C felony because of a history of prior assault incidents, according to Lloyd.

Because of prior domestic assault charges, Greatorex was ineligible for bail and held at Penobscot County Jail, where he was treated for his cuts and scrapes and remained as of Monday night.

Greatorex is scheduled to make a March 3 court appearance at Penobscot Judicial Center.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like