Northeast claws back after storm; two more deaths reported

Posted Feb. 11, 2013, at 7:27 p.m.

BOSTON — New Englanders struggled to resume their normal routines on Monday in the wake of a blizzard that dumped 40 inches of snow across parts of the region, with Boston’s subway service running again and roadways largely plowed, though still treacherous.

Two more deaths were reported in Massachusetts, raising the total number of storm-related deaths in the state to five, according to the Massachusetts Emergency Management Agency. The men died in a Springfield home when they were overcome by carbon monoxide fumes after running a generator indoors during the storm.

Five people also died in Connecticut, two in New York State, one in Maine and one in Rhode Island.

Residents of the region otherwise eased back into their routines, with Boston’s mass transit system back in operation for Monday’s morning rush hour.

Traffic on transit and roads was lighter than usual, in part because many schools around the city remained closed.

Authorities did not release the names or ages of the two men who died in Springfield.

In Maine, the body of 75-year-old Gerald Crommett was recovered after he ran off the road during the storm and his truck fell through the ice on the Penobscot River in Passadumkeag, said Stephen McCausland, a spokesman for the Maine State Police.

One resident of Rhode Island died while shoveling snow after the storm, local media reported.

Some 150,000 homes and businesses, mostly in Massachusetts, remained without power by Monday afternoon.

Power had been restored to close to more than three-quarters of the 700,000 customers who had lost it after the two-day storm.

“The progress is pretty good,” said Mass. Gov. Deval Patrick.

About 1,300 people remained in shelters, primarily in southeastern Massachusetts, which faced coastal flooding as well as heavy snow and hurricane-force winds.

 

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Nation