LEWISTON, Maine — Fear not, lover of Italian sandwiches and baked goods. The Italian Bakery on Bartlett Street will be open for business after a fire on the roof at closing time Wednesday.
The cause of the blaze was said to be an electrical short in a sign mounted to the roof.
Firefighters went to the scene at about 5 p.m., where they found thick smoke coming from the roof. They quickly put out the fire, which was contained to a small area around the sign.
Lewiston fire Investigator Paul Ouellette and City Electrical Inspector Gerry Caron investigated the scene and found the short in the wiring.
“There was no damage inside the store,” said Ouellette. “The power was shut off to the sign, and they will be open in the morning with business as usual. The fire did not cause any interior damage.”