BELFAST, Maine — A Searsport man who pleaded guilty Wednesday afternoon to eight charges related to the sexual abuse of three children in 2010 and 2011 will spend six years in prison for his crimes.
“I’d just like to say that I’m sorry,” the heavyset, bearded man clad in an orange prison jumpsuit said to the judge and the nearly empty courtroom before being sentenced.
Waldo County Superior Court Justice Robert Murray then sentenced Brian I. Doucette, 32, to 14 years in the custody of the Maine Department of Corrections, with all but six years suspended. Doucette additionally will spend three years on probation. His conditions of probation will include no contact with the three victims, no contact with any children under 16 and a requirement of attending sex offender counseling.
Waldo County Deputy District Attorney Eric Walker detailed the events that led to the charges of the class B, C and D crimes of visual sexual aggression against a child, sexual misconduct with a child, unlawful sexual contact and unlawful sexual touching. The prosecutor was asked to explain the evidence that would have been presented at trial, if Doucette had not pleaded guilty.
According to Walker and to a police report released at the time of Doucette’s arrest last March, the victims — two girls and a boy — were under 12 years old at the time of the abuse. Maine State Police were contacted almost a year ago by a concerned family member of the children who believed that there had been possible sexual abuse by Doucette. The boy told police that Doucette had exposed his genitals and begun to touch himself while the child was playing video games.
“Doucette had pulled down his pants and underwear and was rubbing his penis,” Walker said. “He said to try it, because it felt good.”
Doucette also touched the older girl in her “private area” over her clothing on at least two occasions, according to the police report, and also exposed his genitals to the younger female victim.
He had initially denied or downplayed some of the charges when police interviewed him last March, saying that he might have accidentally touched the girls’ genitals when he was sleeping and that he and the boy had masturbated together while watching pornography.
“Did you plead guilty to these charges because you are, in fact, guilty of these charges?” Murray asked Doucette Wednesday in court.
“Yes, your honor,” he replied.
Walker said that in his recommended sentence, he broke down the charges by victim, so that Doucette would serve two years in prison for each child he abused.
“I wanted each victim to have a sentence of their own,” Walker said afterward. “That’s really what it came down to.”
Murray said that the “imposition of consecutive sentences for multiple episodes involving multiple victims” seemed reasonable.
Aaron Fethke, Doucette’s defense attorney, said that his client has pending charges of a similar nature in York County. Details on those charges were not immediately available Wednesday. According to Walker, the district attorney there has agreed that Doucette would serve any sentence imposed concurrently with the Waldo County sentence.
Walker said after the sentencing that because Doucette pleaded guilty, his victims did not have to testify during a trial.
“That’s a big relief,” he said, adding that the children are doing well now. “They’re lucky to have a strong family and strong community.”