Sports briefs for Feb. 5, 3013

Posted Feb. 05, 2013, at 6:31 p.m.
Last modified Feb. 05, 2013, at 7:07 p.m.

Veterans Recognition Night set at Hermon High

HERMON — Hermon High School will hold its annual Veterans Recognition Night at Wednesday’s 7 p.m. game between Hermon and Mount Desert Island.

All area veterans will receive free admission into the game and veterans will be asked to register at the game to be eligible for a drawing for an autographed basketball.

The Hermon High pep game will perform service selections at halftime and the recognition night is sponsored by the Hermon JROTC and athletic department.

Lakers’ World Peace banned one game for striking opponent

Los Angeles Lakers forward Metta World Peace has been suspended one game for grabbing an opponent around the neck and striking him in the jaw during a game, the NBA said on Tuesday.

Detroit Pistons point guard Brandon Knight and World Peace tussled under the hoop while going for a rebound late in the second quarter of Sunday’s game before World Peace hit his opponent in frustration.

The visiting Lakers went on to win 98-97.

World Peace will miss the Lakers’ road game against the Brooklyn Nets later on Tuesday, the NBA said in a statement.

His suspension leaves the Lakers without two starters against the Nets as seven-times All-Star center Dwight Howard will miss his third consecutive game with a shoulder injury.

Yankees to keep A-Rod rehab location secret

New York Yankees third baseman Alex Rodriguez will rehab from hip surgery in secret, as the team tries to limit his exposure in light of new performance-enhancing drug allegations.

“I’m not going to say to try and keep away the extra whatever you want to call it, paparazzi, whatever it is, the stakeout wherever he is working out,” Cashman told reporters at the Hard Rock Cafe in Time Square, where he helped support the Yankees’ radio producer/engineer, Carlos Silva, who is fighting cancer. “That’s the only reason I’m not going to say where he is going to be on a given day.”

Rodriguez, 37, underwent left hip surgery Jan. 16. The team hopes he can return after the All-Star break.

Allegations surfaced last week, as a Miami New Times report said A-Rod had an association with Anthony Bosch, a Miami-based man linked to PEDs. An ESPN report later detailed that Rodriguez received shots from Bosch at his home.

Rodriguez has denied any involvement with Bosch.

Nadal wins doubles match on Chilean comeback

VINA DEL MAR, Chile — Rafa Nadal made a successful comeback after a seven-month injury absence with victory in the first round of the Chilean Open doubles on Tuesday.

The former world number one and Argentine partner Juan Monaco overpowered second-seeded Czechs Frantisek Cermak and Lukas Dlouhy 6-3 6-2 in 65 minutes at the Pacific coastal city of Vina del Mar.

Spanish left-hander Nadal had been out with a knee problem since losing to Czech Lukas Rosol in the second round at Wimbledon in June.

The 26-year-old’s planned return at the end of last year was delayed due to illness but he will compete on his favourite clay surface at three Latin American events this month.

On Wednesday, Nadal plays a second-round singles match against Argentine qualifier Federico Delbonis.

Cardinals pitcher Carpenter likely out for 2013 season

Former Cy Young winner Chris Carpenter will likely miss the 2013 Major League Baseball campaign due to a nagging shoulder injury that kept him out most of last season, the St. Louis Cardinals said on Tuesday.

Carpenter told team officials last week that he was still experiencing discomfort and numbness in his right shoulder, according to Cardinals General Manager John Mozeliak.

A three-time All-Star with a 144-94 career record since his MLB debut in 1997, Carpenter won the Cy Young Award in 2005 as the National League’s top pitcher and has won two World Series titles with the Cardinals.

Carpenter, who turns 38 in April, was shut down two weeks into spring training last year due to his shoulder problems and did not pitch until the end of the season when he made three starts, going 0-2.

Vitale to call Final Four games

Dick Vitale will call Final Four games this year for ESPN International, the network announced Tuesday.

The longtime announcer will work a semifinal and the championship game for telecast that will air in 150 countries and territories across 35 broadcast networks in Latin America, Europe, the Middle East, Africa, Australia, New Zealand, Japan and Canada.

Vitale, 73, has called more than 2,000 college basketball games since joining ESPN in 1979. He has been a studio analyst for the network’s NCAA tournament coverage every year since, but hasn’t announced a Final Four game because NBC and then CBS have owned the rights.

Mets’ owners proposed casino next to Citi Field

The owners of the New York Mets reportedly wanted to build a casino next to Citi Field, according to New York Post report.

Sterling Equities, the real estate company operated by Mets owner Fred Wilpon and family, proposed a casino in September 2011 and offered $100 million to the City of New York to buy 62 acres for the site, the paper said.

Sterling Equities also secured the Shinnecock Indian nation to operate the casino. Live-dealer casinos aren’t legal in New York except on tribal lands, killing the project, according to the report. Sterling received 23 of the 62 requested acres in June to build a $3 billion entertainment complex.

“The submission that included a gaming use was quickly dismissed as unviable,” a spokesman with the city’s Economic Development Corp. told the Post. “A different plan is now moving through the approvals process for a project that will create a dynamic new destination, hundreds of units of affordable housing, and thousands of jobs.”

The Mets declined to comment on the casino report.

SEE COMMENTS →

View stories by school

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Sports