HARRINGTON, Maine — A kerosene heater sparked a fire Wednesday night at a home in rural Harrington, heavily damaging the residence on Willey District Road owned by Seth and Tracey Hatt.
Harrington Fire Chief David Baldwin said Thursday morning the fire was reported at 8:27 p.m. His department responded, as did firefighters from Addison, Cherryfield, Columbia, Columbia Falls and Milbridge. Most of the mutual aid, he said, involved hauling water to the scene.
Baldwin said the fire gutted some of the home’s downstairs rooms, a stairwell and one room on the second floor.
Wind was not a factor in knocking down the fire, Baldwin said, as it was blowing from the direction on the opposite side of the fire, which never burned through the roof.
Firefighters were on the scene until midnight. There were no injuries.