EASTON, Maine — The state fire marshal’s office indicated Wednesday afternoon that smoking could not be ruled out as the cause of a fatal fire that killed two brothers in Easton on Tuesday.
At the same time, what exactly started the blaze that gutted the home on Richardson Road and killed Paul Beaton, 56, and Mark Beaton, 57, could not be conclusively determined, said Stephen McCausland, spokesperson for the Maine Department of Public Safety.
Both men died of smoke inhalation, he reported.
Fire investigators say the fire started in the living room near the couch at around 5 a.m.
Eight other people were in the home at the time of the fire, according to Easton Fire Chief Kim White. Mark Beaton owned the home.
People in the home had been drinking alcohol for several hours and most were also smoking, McCausland said. The last of the group had gone to bed about an hour before the fire was discovered. The eight who escaped the fire had gotten out safely by the time firefighters arrived.
There were no smoke detectors in the house.