BREWER, Maine — A heater that failed in the Performing Arts Center at the Brewer Community School over the weekend is being blamed for two burst pipes, Superintendent Daniel Lee said Tuesday.
“They were taking out costumes for the one act play and noticed water on the floor” on Saturday, Lee said. “A joint had frozen and exploded.”
Water stretched from a closet at the back of the 488-seat performing arts center and was “starting to come down the hill, the aisle,” Lee said. “Servicemaster was right there and cleaned it all up.”
No costumes were damaged, and a maintenance crew at the school replaced the damaged joint, the superintendent said.
“On Sunday, we had a second one down the [same] line that burst,” Lee said.
A school maintenance crew again replaced the damaged joint and school officials are now keeping an eye on the pipe and others in the building as a precautionary measure.
“We had a heater in that area that had failed,” Lee said, explaining why the pipe froze.
The recent cold snap, with some days recording below zero temperatures, is the first real cold the 156,000-square-foot building — the largest elementary-middle school in the state — has experiences since opening in August 2011, he said.