June 19, 2018
Midcoast Latest News | Poll Questions | Fuddruckers | Opioid Sales | RCV Ballots

St. George fire caused by torch used to repair plumbing

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff

ST. GEORGE, Maine — A home was significantly damaged Monday by a fire that started when the homeowner was trying to repair plumbing with a torch.

There were no injuries from the fire that was reported to the town department shortly after 11 a.m.

Fire Chief Timothy Polky said the homeowner Charles Knowlton was using a torch to repair a pipe outside the house when the exterior of the home caught fire. Flames then raced up an interior wall and to the second floor where much of the damage occurred.

Polky said crews from St. George, South Thomaston and Thomaston responded. He said there was considerable water damage to the home and that the family will not be able to live there until it is repaired.

The 1,500-square-foot home on Port Clyde Road was built in 1992 and is assessed by the town at about $112,000.

Crews were able to clear the scene by about 2 p.m.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like