June 25, 2018
Basketball Latest News | Poll Questions | Red Meat Allergy | Foraging | Ranked-Choice Voting

Maine weekend college sports roundup


Men’s Basketball

UMPI 96, SUNY Canton 73

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — University of Maine-Presque Isle men’s basketball guards Aaron Hutchins (Jr./East Millinocket, ME) and Michael Warner (Jr./Norwich, UK) combined to shoot 9-13 on three-pointers to lead the Owls to a 96-73 victory over visiting SUNY-Canton on Saturday afternoon.

The win completes a season sweep for Presque Isle over the Roos. They defeated Canton in New York, 61-58 back on January 6th. They pull back to within one game of .500 on the season at 9-10. The Roos fall to 5-13.

What was only a 4-point lead for the Owls at halftime (40-36) was broken open with the help of Hutchins’ 5-6 shooting from long range in the 2nd half. He finished with 23 points to lead all scorers. Warner also reached 20 points, while also pulling down 5 rebounds and dishing out 3 assists.

UMPI threatened to pull away early, building a 10-point lead eight minutes into the contest. Six consecutive points from Canton’s Ryan Lamica (Constable, NY) late in the half brought them back to within 34-31 with under four minutes remaining before the break.

By the 5-minute mark into the 2nd half however, the Owls had built that lead back up to 12 at 58-46 on an 8-2 Hutchins’ run that took only a minute to complete. From there the Owls kept building until the lead hit its peak of 26 at 94-68 with 1:22 remaining.

Lamica led four Roos’ scorers in double figures with 14. After him, Scott Bartenstein (Potsdam, NY) and Tyler Ellison (New York, NY) chipped in 13, while Khalid Vaughn (New York, NY) scored 12.

Patrick Manifold (Sr. Great Yarmouth, UK) scored 15 and pulled down a team-high 7 rebounds in the win for the Owls.

SUNY Canton 75, UMFK 66

FORT KENT, Maine —The State University of New York (SUNY) Canton withstood a late second half U-Maine Fort Kent rally to pick up a win Sunday in a USCAA D1 matchup 75-66.

SUNY Canton (6-13) built an 18 point lead by halftime (44-26) behind 65 percent shooting However, UMFK battled back behind senior co-captain Adam Bouchard who scored 16 of his 20 points in the second half. Senior co-captain Yoshives Belazaire also scored 20 points and grabbed a team-high seven boards for UMFK which got within four points late but gave up a conventional three-point play to Khalid Vaughn (team-high 15 points) in the last minute which sealed the win for the Roos.

UM-Farmington 102, Castleton State 94 (OT)

FARMINGTON, Maine – University of Maine at Farmington junior Andrew Dickey (Cape Elizabeth, Maine/Cape Elizabeth) scored a career high 33 points, 11 of them in overtime, to lead the Beavers to a 102-94 win over Castleton State College, in a North Atlantic Conference men’s basketball clash Saturday afternoon at Dearborn Gym.

The win was the eighth straight for UMaine-Farmington – the program’s longest winning streak since taking 10 in a row during the 1999-2000 campaign – and was the Beavers’ first 100-point game since a 105-99 victory over the University of New England on Dec. 9, 2002, in Biddeford.

Dickey turned in a 7-of-14 shooting performance from the field, 4-of-8 from 3-point range, and was 15-of-16 at the free-throw line.

Junior Ben Johnson (Manchester, Maine/Maranacook) posted his 11th double-double of the season with 27 points behind a 9-of-16 shooting performance, to go with 10 rebounds. Uriah Forest-Bulley (Turner Falls, Mass./Turner Falls) netted a career high 18 points, while Yusuf Iman (Auburn, Maine/Edward Little) finished with 14 along with nine rebounds and five assists.

Castleton State also had four players in double digits, led by Mark Comstock’s 22 points on a 9-of-10 effort from the floor. Rob Collutti and Logan White each logged 17 points, while Chris Barletta finished the day with 14 points.

Dammy Mustapha had a game-high 11 rebounds to accompany his nine points, including one 3-pointer – a trey with 41 seconds left in regulation to knot the game at 85-85. The Beavers had led 85-81 with 1:57 left following a Dickey trey, but White hit the first of two foul shots at the 1:12 mark to cut the margin to three and set the table for Mustapha.

In the extra session, Dickey opened up with another 3-pointers, but White and Mustapha answered to give Castleton the lead, 89-88, with 3:37 to play. UMaine-Farmington regained the lead on a pair of Dickey free throws 19 seconds later, and held the lead the rest of the way.

The Beavers went 7-of-8 at the foul line over the final minute of OT to preserve the win.

Castleton actually held a 49-46 lead at halftime after Collutti hit five 3-pointers in the opening frame. UMaine-Farmington rallied with a 7-0 run early in the second half, capped by two Dickey free throws to give the Beavers a 60-55 lead with 16:24 to play. UMF’s led by as many as eight points twice during the second half, but a 14-2 Castleton run lasting nearly five minutes put the Spartans back in front, 78-74, with 7:16 showing on the clock.

Forest-Bulley reeled Castleton back to within two points with a pair of free throws at the 5:13 mark. From there, the two teams traded the lead once and were tied twice before Mustapha’s game-tying trey to force overtime.

Thomas 87, Green Mountain 78

WATERVILLE, Maine — The Thomas Terriers (8-8. 5-7 NAC) came back from an eight point halftime deficit to defeat Green Mountain (3-15, 2-10 NAC) 87-78 Saturday afternoon in a North Atlantic Conference (NAC) men’s basketball contest.

In the opening half, Thomas had trouble shooting, going a mere 34.3% (12-35) from the floor, while the same could not be said about Green Mountain, who shot 21-37 (56.8%) from the field, gaining a lead by as many as 11. Cassius Belfon (Boston, Mass.) would hit a three for the Eagles with 25 seconds remaining to give the visitors an eight point lead (46-38) to close out the beginning of the contest.

For Thomas, Franklin Salvador (Somerville, Mass.) would lead the squad with eight points, while Marquis Pollard (Philadelphia, Pa.) would chip in with five points and five rebounds.

The visiting Eagles would be led by Belfon, who had a game leading 10 points going a perfect 4-4 from the field, with two of those from downtown. Terry Jones (Pearl, Miss.) would contribute to the lead with eight points and five boards.

The second half was a different story, as the Terriers shot 46.2% (18-39) from the court, while GMC cooled down going 10-27 (37%). The home side would get the lead at 11:39 on a layup by Garen Manzo (Millinocket, Maine), and never relinquish it, going up by as many as 14.

Jarad DeVaughn (Brockton, Mass.) finished with a team high 20 points, along with seven boards, going 7-13 from the field. All the starters for Thomas finished in double figures, the second game in a row they have accomplished this feet. The Terriers ended the contest shooting 40.5% (30-47), and outrebounding Green Mountain 42-40.

Carnelious Green (Oviedo, Fla.) had a game high 24 points in the loss, while Belfon contributed with 14 points of the bench. Green Mountain concluded the game shooting 48.4% (31-64).

Thomas will return to action on Tuesday, Jan. 29 as they travel to Bowdoin for a non-conference matchup. Last season the Terriers fell to the Polar Bears 94-83 in Waterville. DeVaughn had a game high 25 points in the loss.

Bowdoin 63, Colby 49

WATERVILLE, Maine —- Andrew Madlinger had 11 of his game-high 18 points in the opening half as Bowdoin College opened up a 34-20 halftime lead on the way to a 63-49 victory over Colby College in New England Small College Athletic Conference men’s basketball Saturday at Wadsworth Gymnasium.

The two teams came into the game with identical 2-3 records in league play, but the Mules once again had players out because of illness for the third straight game. Leading scorer Chris Hudnut and Luke Westman missed Saturday’s game.

Madlinger was 6-for-9 from the field, 3-for-5 from 3-point range, and hit all three of his free throws. He also had a game-high 10 rebounds, a game-high four steals, and added four assists. Bryan Hurley finished with a game-high eight assists and chipped in 12 points for the Polar Bears (11-6 overall, 3-3 NESCAC). Matt Mathias was 3-for-6 from 3-point range for 13 points, Maximilian Staiger added nine points and seven rebounds, and John Swords finished with six points and nine boards.

Danny Chase had a team-high 14 points for Colby (6-12 overall, 2-4 NESCAC). Gordon Fischer was 5-for-8 from the field for 12 points, while Shane Rogers added eight points and seven assists. Connor O’Neil also had eight points for the Mules.

With Bowdoin leading 7-6, the Polar Bears went on an 11-0 run to go up 18-6 with 14:27 to play in the first half. Mathias nailed two 3-point shots and Madinger had a 3-point play in the run. Bowdoin kept the double digit lead, leading by as much as 16 points, before taking the 34-20 halftime margin.

The Polar Bears were steady in the second half, allowing the Mules to come within 10 points just two times. Rogers hit a basket with 7:06 remaining to cut the margin to 47-39, but the Polar Bears used a 13-4 run to take a 60-43 lead with 2:33 remaining.

Bowdoin had a 39-30 advantage in rebounding and held the Mules to 35 percent (19-for-55) shooting.

USM 90, W. Connecticut 77 (OT)

DANBURY, Conn. – Senior guard Alex Kee (Bath, Maine/Morse) scored 12 of his 16 points in the overtime period to lead the University of Southern Maine Huskies to a 90-77 win over the Western Connecticut State University Colonials Saturday afternoon at Feldman Arena in Danbury, Conn.

With its second consecutive win, Southern Maine improves to 12-7 overall and 7-2 in the Little East Conference, earning the season sweep of the Colonials. Suffering its fourth consecutive loss, Western Connecticut drops to 4-14 overall and 2-7 in the LEC.

Tomah and junior guard Conor Sullivan (Scarborough, Maine) led four players in double-figures for the Huskies each scoring a game-high 23 points. Junior forward James Odneal(Pontiac, Mich./Bottineau) added 13 points, while Kee registered 14. Senior guard Mike Poulin(Readfield, Maine/Maranacook) added eight points, eight rebounds and four assists.

Western Connecticut junior guard Russell Payton (Stratford, Conn.) led the Colonials with 22 points. Senior center Leroy Meyers (Bronx, N.Y./Cardinal Hayes) added 17 points and 11 rebounds, while sophomore forward Luis Bridtter (Stamford, Conn.) added nine points and a game-high 13 rebounds.

Despite leading by 12, 40-28, following a layup from Kee with just 3:41 remaining in the first half, Southern Maine found itself tied with Western Connecticut 40-40 at the break as the Colonials closed out the half on a 12-0 run. Payton (scored four of his teams 12 points in the run, which was capped by a buzzer-beating three from junior guard Joseph Setaro (North Haven, Conn.)

In the second half, roles reversed as the Huskies trialed the Colonials by 11, 62-51, with 9:04 remaining following a pair of free throws from junior guard Mike Laporte (New Milford, Conn./Immaculate). Down but not out, USM rallied behind the strong play of Tomah off of the bench. After back-to-back unanswered baskets from Sullivan and Odneal, Tomah scored 11 of the Huskies next 16 points, including a three-pointer with 1:16 remaining in regulation to give USM a narrow 71-69 lead. However, a jumper from Western Connecticut freshman guard Phil Starks (Bloomfield, Conn./Prince Tech) pulled the Colonials even with 44 seconds to play before both teams burned two possessions each to force the overtime action.

In the overtime period, Southern Maine dominated outscoring Western Connecticut 19-6. Tomah scored the Huskies first four points of the extra time to bookend a jumper from Starks, before Kee took over. Kee’s jumper with 2:22 to play gave USM a 77-73 lead, before Starks again sank a three to trim the Husky lead to one, 77-76. Kee then knocked down a three of his own while being fouled for a four-point play and a 81-76 lead with 1:35 remaining. Starks’ three was the last Colonial field goal of the game.

Following Kee’s four-point swing, USM closed out the game on the line making 7-of-8 down the stretch, including 6-of-6 from Kee for the 90-77 win.

St. Joseph’s 53, Lasell 46

STANDISH, Maine — Saint Joseph’s (12-6, 8-4 GNAC) outlasted Lasell College (3-16, 2-10 GNAC), 53-46, in a Great Northeast Athletic Conference (GNAC) men’s basketball contest at the Harold Alfond Center on Saturday afternoon.

The Monks, who led by a 27-20 score at intermission, held the lead for the duration but was unable to pull away from the visiting Lasers, who managed to maintain a single-digit deficit for all but a pair of Saint Joseph’s possessions in the second half.

Just when it appeared the Monks would finally put the game to rest by way of solid free throw shooting in the closing minutes, the Lasers countered with three-pointers on consecutive trips down the floor, the latter long ball coming from junior Brock Walters (Jacksonville, Fla.) who hit a deep three to make it a 52-46 game with 35 seconds remaining in regulation. Fortunately for Saint Joseph’s, the bucket would be the Lasers’ last as freshman guard Jerome Diggs (Centerville, Va.) proceeded to make his fourth freebie of the afternoon five seconds later to account for the 53-46 final.

The Monks were able to overcome a daunting 47-23 rebounding discrepancy with the help of 19 points off 20 Lasell turnovers while committing just nine miscues in the important conference win. The Lasers out-rebounded Saint Joseph’s by a 16-2 margin on the offensive glass and held 13-2 and 22-20 advantages in second chance points and points in the paint, respectively, in a losing effort.

Neither team was able to find a groove offensively, as Saint Joseph’s shot 36.7% (18-49) from the floor and 26.3% (5-19) from three-point land and Lasell countered with a 33.3% (18-54) effort from the field and a 26.1% (6-23) bid from downtown on the afternoon. Free throw shooting was also off the mark, as the Monks went 12-18 (66.7%) from the line and the Lasers made just four of eight shots from the charity stripe.

Sophomore forward Zach Blodgett (Glenburn, Maine) paced the Monks with nine points while Diggs, Steve Simonds (Steep Falls, Maine) and Julio Vazquez (Waterbury, Conn.) netted eight apiece and Matthew Medeiros (Westport, Mass.) posted seven points and five rebounds in the victory. Junior James Philbrook (Auburn, Maine) pulled down a team-high six rebounds and junior Krubiel Workie (Denver, Colo.) chipped in three assists for the hosts.

Lasell freshman forward Logan Liberty (Duxbury, Vt.) registered a double-double with 10 points and 10 rebounds and sophomore forward Frank Apisa (Branchburgh, N.J.) added 10 points and six boards in a losing effort. Walters contributed nine points off a 3-6 three-point shooting effort and sophomore point guard Jeremy Daniel (Bridgeport, Conn.) chipped in 10 rebounds and five assists for the visitors.

With the victory, Saint Joseph’s improves to 8-6 in the history of the series with Lasell College and has now defeated the Lasers in five straight meetings dating back to the 2010-11 campaign. The 99 combined points put up by the conference counterparts in this afternoon’s contest is by far the fewest tallied in the 14 meetings between the teams. Prior to today, the fewest points Saint Joseph’s had scored versus Lasell was 60 (12/13/08) and the lowest score put up by the Lasers against the Monks was 63 points (12/8/11).

Today, coaching staffs for both programs wore sneakers with their typical gameday attire of suits and ties in support of a worthy cause. Suits and Sneakers weekend is an annual event coordinated by the Coaches vs. Cancer program, a nationwide collaboration between the American Cancer Society and the National Association of Basketball Coaches. The Coaches vs. Cancer program empowers basketball and other athletic coaches to save lives from cancer by leveraging their community leadership to raise awareness and funds for the American Cancer Society. To learn more, visit www.nabc.org.

U-New England 62, Salve Regina 56

BIDDEFORD, Maine — Behind 52.2 percent shooting and six three-pointers, the University of New England men’s basketball team out-scored Salve Regina University 42-29 in the closing 20 minutes to come away with a 62-56 Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) win on Saturday (Jan. 26) at the Harold Alfond Forum.

The deciding stretch came as the second period began, with the Nor’easters (4-14, 3-8 CCC) running-off a 17-5 streak in the initial 4:21 on the frame to turn a seven-point halftime deficit into a 37-32 cushion. Five UNE players scored during the spurt, including junior Charles Fenner III (Bronx, N.Y.) and first-year Devin Thompson (Winthrop, Mass.) with five points apiece.

Though the Seahawks (10-8, 6-5) knotted things at 44-all near the midway mark of the stanza, Big Blue answered with eight in-a-row to move in front for good. Salve pulled within three a couple times with a little over two minutes to play, but could not get any closer.

UNE made 10-of-14 free throws in the final moments to seal the victory.

Fenner III and Thompson each scored 12 points in the second half to finish with 20 and 17, respectively. Thompson also collected a team-high six rebounds. Sophomore Jake Abel (Fairfield, Calif.) added nine points — including seven after halftime — to go with five assists, and senior Joseph Dadiego (Westbrook, Maine) tallied all of his six points following intermission.

For Salve Regina, juniors Patrick Dinneen (Medfield, Mass.) and Isiah Pringle (Queens, N.Y.) notched 12 points each. Pringle had nine of his in the opening 20 minutes, while Dinneen accounted for 10 of his in the final frame. Classmate Josh Bielefeld (Littleton, Mass.) grabbed a game-best 10 rebounds for the Seahawks, who wound up with a 43-30 advantage on the glass and 22 offensive boards.

SRU trailed 9-8 in the early-going of the first period, but turned things in its favor with a 16-4 run to gain a double-digit cushion as halftime approached. Bielefeld and senior William Smiley (Saunderstown, R.I.), along with Pringle, combined for all but two of the points during the stretch.

The Nor’easters managed to reduce the margin down to seven (27-20) by the break, despite shooting 27.3 percent (6 for 22) from the field.

Tufts 74, Bates 67

LEWISTON, Maine — Tom Palleschi totaled 19 points, eight rebounds and three blocked shots to lead Tufts University to a 74-67 win over the Bates College men’s basketball team on Saturday in NESCAC action at Alumni Gymnasium.

It was Tufts’ (12-7, 5-2 NESCAC) sixth straight win, with five of those coming against NESCAC opponents.

Bates (7-12, 2-5 NESCAC) led by as many as 15 points in the first half and finished the period with a 40-33 advantage. Tufts outscored Bates 41-27 in the second half, finally breaking the game’s seventh and final tie with a 3-pointer by Kwame Firempong with 3:00 to go in the game. The lead changed five times over the second half.

Bates couldn’t answer Firempong’s three before Ben Ferris converted a three-point play with 1:31 left, making it 70-64, Tufts’ largest lead of the game to that point. Bates’ Mark Brust and Tufts’ Ferris traded layups to keep the gap at six, and a pair of free throws by Firempong with 23 seconds left to play sealed Tufts’ win.

Ferris and Scott Anderson scored 15 points apiece for Tufts; Firempong added 11 with five assists, and Stephen Haladyna scored 10 points off the bench. Oliver Cohen went scoreless but dished out eight assists. Tufts shot 50% from the field for the game (26/52), including 43.8% from long range (7/16); the Jumbos also made 88.2% of their free throws (15/17).

Bates senior Ed Bogdanovich scored a game-high 21 points, his highest output since Bates’ season opener in November, and he hauled down seven rebounds, as Bates achieved a slight 34-33 edge on the glass. Mike Boornazian had 15 points and six rebounds, while Graham Safford and Mark Brust added 11 points apiece. Safford also distributed a team-high six assists and added two steals and a block. Bates committed only five turnovers in the game. The Bobcats’ Achilles’ heel was their three-point shooting: they were 2-for-18 from long distance (11.1%), 23-for-43 on two-pointers (53.5%).

Safford assisted Bogdanovich for layups on three straight early possessions, including a fast-break dunk and a three-point play that made it 13-8 in Bates’ favor. The Bobcats turned an 18-13 lead into 28-13 with a 10-0 run, capped by a four-point play by Boornazian with 10:03 left in the half. Anderson ended Bates’ streak with a three of his own, and the Bobcats never led by as many again. Tufts outscored Bates 20-12 over the final 10 minutes of the half to whittle the lead down to 40-33 at the break. Firempong nailed two threes in that span, and Ferris closed out the period’s scoring with another three with 1:13 to go.

Tufts’ shooting continued its warming trend as the second half got under way with a pair of layups by Palleschi, and 5:26 into the period the game was knotted up at 45-45, after Ferris and Anderson had each made pairs of free throws. Palleschi scored 13 of his points in the second period.

Women’s Hockey

Maine 1, Connecticut 1 (OT)

STORRS, Conn. — The University of Maine women’s ice hockey team skated to a 1-1 tie with UConn on Saturday afternoon in Storrs, Conn. Katy Massey (Waterville, Maine) notched her fourth goal of the season in the game for the Black Bears.

UConn struck first, 7:04 into the first period, when Emily Snodgrass netted her third goal of the season from Alice Hughes and Caitlin Hewes. The Huskies took the 1-0 lead into the first intermission.

Maine answered early in the second period when Massey beat Husky goalie Elaine Chuli at 2:43. Missy Denk (Poplar Grove, Ill.) and Kayle Kaluzny (Calgary, Alberta) each assisted on Massey’s goal.

Neither team was able to find the net the remained of regulation or during the five-minute overtime period as the game finished in a 1-1 tie.

Maine finished the game with a commanding 45-17 edge in shots on goal. The Black Bears were 0-for-4 on the power play, while UConn was scoreless in three chances.

Maine goalie Brittany Ott (St. Clair Shores, Mich.) made 16 saves and moves to 4-10-3 on the season. Chuli stopped 44 shots for the Huskies.

Maine moves to 4-17-3 on the season and 1-10-2 in Hockey East play. UConn sees its record move to 3-19-3, 1-10-1 in conference play.

Women’s Basketball

UMFK 65, SUNY-Canton 57

FORT KENT, Maine — The U-Maine-Fort Kent women’s basketball team used a strong second half Sunday afternoon to defeat State University of New York (SUNY) Canton 65-57 in a top 20 USCAA D1 showdown

UMFK (11-9, USCAA No. 12) fell behind 28-21 at the break but attacked the basket in the second half and got to the foul line 33 times, knocking down 19. They also turned poor 32 percent (7-22) first half shooting into 52 percent (11-21) in the second while clamping down on defense in holding SUNY Canton (9-8, USCAA No. 16) to just 28 percent (8-28 field goals).

Junior guard Jenn Colpitts led UMFK with 16 points and added eight rebounds. Backcourt mate Brooke Harris added 15 points while Taylor Boucher had 12 points. Freshmen forward Samantha Carapellucci had 12 points and a game-high 15 rebounds.

SUNY Canton was led by Joelle Percy with 13 points and Kaitlin Meyers added 12 points and a team-high nine rebounds.

MMA 77, UMPI 41

PRESQUE ISLE, Maine — Mary Badeen and Bekah Campbell combined for 45 points to lead Maine Maritime to a 77-41 win over Maine-Presque Isle in a non-conference women’s basketball game Sunday. The Mariners evened their overall record to 9-9 while the Owls fell to 5-13.

Badeen matched a career high with 26 points and grabbed five rebounds. Campbell scored a career-high 19 points and pulled down five boards. Leah Jackson scored nine points and grabbed a game-high 13 rebounds for the Mariners.

Olivia McNally paced UMPI with 10 points.

Maine Maritime broke an early 5-5 deadlock with a 14-5 scoring run to lead 19-9 with 12:54 left in the first half. Badeen scored eight in the run while Campbell added the other six points. The Mariners took their largest lead, 36-16, on a Jillian Perron jumper at 1:25 and took a 36-18 lead into the break.

Jackson opened the second half with consecutive jumpers to put Maine Maritime ahead 40-20. A pair of Badeen jumpers midway through the second gave the Mariners a 49-22 lead with 10:57 left in the game and Maine Maritime never saw its lead dip below 18 the remainder of the game.

Thomas 72, Green Mountain 68

WATERVILLE, Maine — Thomas (5-11, 4-7) picked up a huge North Atlantic Conference (NAC) victory against Green Mountain (3-14, 1-11 NAC) 72-68, in a women’s basketball contest Saturday afternoon at Larry Mahaney Gymnasium.

The Terriers took the lead at the 16:00 mark off of a jumper by Megan Pelletier (Winslow, Maine) and never let up, ending the half with a ten point advantage 35-25. Green Mountain would hold the advantage in rebounds 21-15, while the visiting side shot 45.8% (11-24) from the floor. Thomas however went 15-38 (39.5%) from the field in the opening stanza.

Pelletier would lead the half with a game high 12 points, while the Eagles Chelsea Paul (Northville, Vt.) had a team leading nine points and seven boards. Elizabeth Goodall (Oakfield, Maine) provided a spark off the bench for the home side, going 3-6 from the floor and 2-5 from downtown for eight points in the first half.

Thomas would spread the lead out to as many as 16 in the closing half on a free throw shot by Goodall at the 6:10 mark. The Eagles however would chip away at the lead in the closing minutes, cutting it down as little as four with just 15 seconds to play on a layup by Amber Heath (Windsor, Vt.).

The Terriers would end the contest shooting 36.6% (26-71) from the floor to the Green Mountain’s 49.1% (27-55). Thomas would cause 29 turnovers in the win, but be outrebounded 40-35.

Pelletier finished with a game high 25 points along with Eagles guard Paul. Goodall chipped in with 16 off the bench, shooting 5-10 from the floor, and 3-7 from beyond the arc.

Castleton State 61, UM-Farmington 45

FARMINGTON, Maine – Castleton State College took advantage of 32 University of Maine at Farmington turnovers and posted a 61-45 win over the Beavers, in North Atlantic Conference women’s basketball Saturday afternoon at Dearborn Gym.

Castleton (18-1, 11-1 NAC) earned its entire margin of victory in the first half behind a 44.0 percent shooting performance, while holding UMaine-Farmington (6-12, 6-6 NAC) to 24.0 percent from the field. That allowed the Spartans to take a 35-19 lead into the locker room at halftime.

The second half was a whole different story.

The Beavers held the Spartans off the scoreboard for the first five minutes of the second half, eventually cutting the margin to seven points, 35-28, on a Lindsay Ranquist (Owls Head, Maine/Medomak Valley) 3-pointer at the 15:27 mark.

Castleton answered by scoring the next five points to squelch the threat. UMaine-Farmington only briefly cut the lead to single digits with fewer than five minutes to play, on a Kenni Norton (Strong, Maine/Mt. Abram) layup to make the score 48-39. The Spartans were again able to rally, this time with a Shelby LaBarge jumper and a pair of foul shots by Tarryn Bolognani to regain a 13-point lead.

Each team scored 26 points in the second half, with UMaine-Farmington outshooting Castleton State 39.3 percent (11-of-28) to 30.0 percent (6-of-18).

Norton led UMaine-Farmington with 18 points on 7-of-18 shooting from the field, while Ayla Allen (Rumford, Maine/Mountain Valley) came off the bench to score nine points with six boards. Holly Oliver (Belgrade Lakes, Maine/Messalonskee) also grabbed six rebounds.

Castleton’s Jade Desroches finished with a team-high 16 points and a game-high five assists. Twelve of her 16 points came on four 3-pointers, all in the first half. Bolognani logged 11 points, while Stephanie Linder charted 10.

UMF held a 40-36 advantage on the boards, including an 11-8 lead on the offensive glass, but it was in the turnovers department that the Beavers suffered the most damage. Farmington’s season-high 32 turnovers yielded 27 points for Castleton, 17 of which were in the first half.

Bowdoin 82, Colby 71

WATERVILLE, Maine —- Kaitlin Donahoe shot 11-for-17 from the field on the way to a game-high 28 points and contributed six rebounds and four assists to lead the Bowdoin College women’s basketball team to an 82-71 victory over Colby College in New England Small College Athletic Conference play.

The Polar Bears moved to 10-8 overall and 2-4 in conference play, while Colby fell to 7-11 overall and 1-5 in the league.

Donahoe and Colby’s Brooke Chandor put on an offensive show in the high-scoring game. Chandor was 10-for-18 from the field and hit 6-for-13 from 3-point range to score 26 points. She also had seven rebounds.

Bowdoin’s Shannon Brady was tough inside with 16 points on 7-for-10 shooting, with seven rebounds and five blocked shots. Megan Phelps added 14 points and a game-high nine assists to go along with two blocks. Sara Binkhorst was 4-for-5 from 3-point range and scored all 13 of her points in the second half.

Diana Manduca chipped in 15 points, dished five assists, and had three steals for the Mules. Carylanne Wolfington had nine of her 11 points in the second half, while Jacky McLaughlin dished a team-high six assists and had six points.

The Mules got off to a fine start and led 15-11 with 12:49 left in the first half. Bowdoin, however, received seven points from Donahoe and went on a 14-0 run to take a 25-15 lead with 6:56 remaining. The Polar Bears moved the margin to 15 points before Colby cut the lead to 43-33 at halftime.

Binkhorst’s 3-point shots were the key to the first 10 minutes of the second half. The Mules consistently had any chance of a scoring run slowed down by four timely 3-pointers by Binkhorst. Colby got as close as six points at 61-55 when Chandor nailed a 3-point shot with 10:18 to go.

With the Polar Bears up 69-62 with 5:48 to play, Bowdoin went on a 7-0 run capped off by a Donahoe 3-point shot to go up by 14 points at 76-62 with 3:50 remaining. The Mules got the lead down to eight points three times in the final 2:30 of play, but could not get closer.

Bowdoin shot 57 percent (29-for-51) from the field and held a slight 34-31 rebound advantage. The two teams combined for 41 assists on 55 made field goals.

W. Connecticut 68, USM 55

DANBURY, Conn. – Senior guard Carly Murphy (Wolcott, Conn.) racked up a double-double with 18 points and 11 rebounds, both game-high totals, to lead the Western Connecticut State University Colonials to a 68-55 win over the No. 13 University of Southern Maine Huskies in a Little East Conference women’s basketball game Saturday afternoon at Feldman Arena in Danbury, Conn.

The loss snaps the Huskies’ 18-game winning streak and drops their overall record to 18-1 and 8-1 in the Little East Conference. Earning their seventh consecutive win, Western Connecticut improves to 14-5 and 7-2 in the LEC.

Southern Maine struggled offensively shooting just 31.6 percent (18-for-57) from the field and 66.7 percent (18-for-27) from the free throw line, while making 19 turnovers. Western Connecticut’s strong defensive effort held the Huskies to nearly 20 points below their season scoring average of 72.7 points per game. The Colonials shot a solid 42.0 percent from the field, knocking down eight three pointers.

Murphy led the Colonials as four Colonial players reach double figures in scoring. Senior guard Nicole Eanniello (Danbury, Conn.) added 15 points, while sophomore guard Caroline Brasa (East Hartford, Conn./East Catholic) and senior guard Jackie Zilnicki (Riverhead, N.Y.) each chipped in with 12 points.

Senior forward Jordan Grant (Concord, N.H.) was the only USM player in double figures with 15 points. Grant added eight rebounds and three steals. Sophomore forward Rebecca Knight (Alfred, Maine/McAuley) tossed in nine points and grabbed a team-high nine rebounds and senior guard Haley Jordan (Falmouth, Maine) added nine points and five rebounds.

After scoring the first basket of the game, Southern Maine did not lead again as the Colonials countered with a quick five points on a layup from Murphy and a three from Brasa. The Huskies trailed 15-11 with 9:38 on the clock after a jumper in the paint from sophomore guardTaylor Flood (Sanford, Maine), but the Colonials ran out to a 13-point lead with a 13-4 run to move ahead 28-15 with 6:08 remaining in the half. Zilnicki scored six of the Colonials’ 13 points in the run. With neither team shooting well the remainder of the half, Western Connecticut led 31-22 at the half.

USM opened the second half with a 7-2 run to trail 34-29 with 18:24 to play, but after a timeout the Colonials scored the next 10 points of the game to lead 44-29 with 13:23 to play. Brasa and Eanniello each canned three pointers to close out the pivotal Colonial run. From there Western Connecticut was never seriously threatened the rest of the way en route to the win.

St. Joseph’s 68, St. Joseph (Conn.) 48

WEST HARTFORD, Conn. – Saint Joseph’s College (12-7, 6-2 GNAC) defeated University of Saint Joseph (10-6, 3-3 GNAC), 68-48, in GNAC women’s basketball action on Saturday afternoon. Freshman center Morgan Cahill (Yarmouth, Maine) tallied 18 points and 11 rebounds in the convincing conference win.

The Monks never trailed, but a closely-contested first half resulted in the visitors owning a slim 26-23 lead going into intermission. The Blue Jays remained within striking distance for a good portion of the second stanza and trailed by three (40-37) with 11:57 remaining. But the Monks slowly edged away from there, as a 19-6 run over the next seven-plus minutes put the Royal Blue ahead by a 59-43 margin with 4:17 remaining.

For the Monks, senior guard Danyelle Shufelt (Sutton, Vt.) recorded 15 points and four steals, junior forward Lindsay Moore (Barrington, N.H.) registered 10 points, eight boards, four steals and three assists and sophomore guard Sarah Assante (Standish, Maine) came off the bench to provide eight points, six caroms and three steals.

Junior forward Theresa Hendrix (Scarborough, Maine/Cheverus) added five points, 10 rebounds and three assists while Abby Young (North Yarmouth, Maine) and Skyler Makkinje (Hillsboro, N.H.) chipped in six points apiece in the triumph.

For the Blue Jays, Heather Framski (Prospect, Conn.) recorded 14 points, seven rebounds and three blocked shots and Mary Hyde (Derby, Conn.) tallied 12 points, seven rebounds and five assists in a losing effort.

Overall, Saint Joseph’s shot 41.5% (27-65) from the field, 18.2% (2-11) from three-point land and 63.2% (12-19) from the free throw line while University of Saint Joseph shot 30.9% (21-68) from the floor, 20% (4-20) from downtown and 66.7% (2-3) from the line on the afternoon.

With the victory, Saint Joseph’s improves to 5-1 in the history of the series with University of Saint Joseph.

U-New England 74, Salve Regina 71 (OT)

BIDDEFORD, Maine — The University of New England scored seven of the last nine points in overtime to pull out a 74-71 Commonwealth Coast Conference (CCC) women’s basketball victory over Salve Regina University on Saturday afternoon (Jan. 26) at the Harold Alfond Forum.

The triumph was the ninth consecutive for the Nor’easters (14-4, 11-0 CCC), who completed the regular-season sweep of the defending league champions. The Seahawks (10-8, 7-4) fell for just the second time in their last 11 outings.

Down 69-67 in the extra session, UNE tied things up on lay-up by first-year Meghan Gribbin (Windham, Maine), and senior Beth Suggs (Bath, Maine) got two on the next trip down to move the hosts in front. However, Salve sophomore Laura Anne Dinan (Monterey, Mass.) brought the contest back to even (71-71) with 0:42 left.

A foul on the other end sent UNE first-year Lauren Hayden (Chantilly, Va.) to the line where she made 1-of-2 to give the Nor’easters the edge. Salve had 21 seconds remaining to attempt to take the advantage back, but a steal by Big Blue rookie Michaela Flanagan (Plymouth, Mass.) led to the fouling of Suggs, who proceeded to drain a pair at the charity stripe and bump the margin up to three (74-71). It was UNE’s largest lead of the day.

The Seahawks could not get a shot off before time expired.

Suggs recorded her 12th double-double of the year to pace UNE, finishing with a career-best 26 points on 11-of-19 shooting, 13 rebounds, and four assists. Gribbin went 5-for-6 from the floor to end with 10 points, and dished out six assists. Sophomore Kelly Coleman (Portland, Conn.) also reached double figures in points (10) and rebounds (10).

Hayden, Flanagan, and classmate Alanna Vose (Cushing, Maine) combined for 24 points. Hayden grabbed an additional six boards and three steals, and Flanagan picked up three more steals.

The Nor’easters out-scored their opponents 44-18 in the paint during the game. UNE also out-rebounded the Seahawks in the second half, 23-14.

For SRU, senior Kaitlyn Birrell (Hope, R.I.) put forth an impressive showing, tallying a game-high 27 points to go with seven assists, six steals, and five caroms. First-year Meaghan Harden (Sandwich, Mass.) chipped in with 13 points, and junior Marissa Pendergast (Medfield, Mass.) registered 11 points and eight rebounds.

Birrell powered the visitors to an early cushion (8-4), with all of her team’s points in the initial 2:53 of the match. After back-and-forth action, a basket by Pendergast gave Salve a lead (13-12) it would not reliquish for more than 26 minutes.

The difference was 32-28 at halftime in favor of the Seahawks, as Birrell paced the offense with 15 points.

Salve increased the gap to as many as 10 (42-32) in the opening stages of the second period, and was still ahead by nine (51-42) with 8:40 to play.

Vose knocked down a three-pointer on UNE’s next possession, sparking a 15-4 run that saw the Nor’easters assume a 57-55 advantage with 3:29 on the clock. Flanagan had five of her eight points in the stretch, including the game-tying trey.

Pendergast and Birrell put together an 8-3 spurt over the ensuing two minutes to quiet the UNE momentum and go up, 63-60.

Suggs then trimmed the Big Blue deficit to one, and, with 25 ticks left in regulation, Flanagan sunk two freebies to make it 64-63.

Though Salve’s go-ahead three-point try bounced away in the waning seconds, Pendergast corralled the offensive rebound and was fouled. She made the first of two, evening things on the scoreboard to force overtime.

Tufts 55, Bates 34

LEWISTON, Maine — No. 4 nationally ranked Tufts University slowed down the Bates College women’s basketball team’s offense to a virtual standstill and came with a 55-34 win over the Bobcats in a NESCAC game played Saturday in Alumni Gym.

The Jumbos preserved their perfect record, rising to 20-0 overall and 7-0 in NESCAC play. Bates (9-9, 3-4 NESCAC) dipped to the .500 mark.

Tufts seemed to make every pass thrown by a Bates player a trial, forcing 27 turnovers and compelling Bates to rush many of its shots. The Bobcats were held to 29.5% shooting (13/44) from the field in the game, including 7.7% (1/13) from three-point territory.

Hannah Foley led the Jumbos with a game-high 17 points and seven rebounds, and was the only Jumbo to score in double figures. Kate Barnosky added nine points and six boards, and Kelsey Morehead contributed eight points and a game-high three assists. Ali Rocchi scored six points and made four steals in her disruptive 15 minutes off the bench.

Brianna Hawkins was the only Bates player to reach double figures in scoring, with 11 points. Hawkins also led Bates in rebounding with seven and made a pair of steals. Such Bates mainstays as Meredith Kelly, Molly Brown, Taryn O’Connell and Julia Rafferty were all held to season-lows in scoring, and Allie Beaulieu was also limited to a subpar eight points.

Bates was successful in outrebounding Tufts by a 36-33 margin and holding the Jumbos to 36.7% shooting from the floor.

Bates had early leads of 8-4 and 13-9 and stayed toe-to-toe with Tufts over the opening 10 minutes of the game. Kelly’s three-point play with 9:45 to go in the half closed the Jumbos’ lead to 18-16 after Tufts had run off nine unanswered points, including two hoops by Rocchi and a three by Liz Moynihan.

But Bates went and committed six turnovers over the last nine minutes of the opening period, as Tufts finished out the half with a 14-1 run. Foley kicked off the run with a three, assisted by Emma Roberson, with 7:25 left, and Morehead finished it off with a three-point play with 40 seconds to go, sending Tufts into halftime with a 32-17 lead.

The lead ballooned to 23 points as Tufts opened up the second half with a layup by Foley and a layup by Bre Dufault, followed by a quick 8-0 run featuring a Barnosky layup sandwiched by two more threes by Foley, which made it 44-21 with 15:59 to play. Tufts’ lead stayed in the twenties the rest of the way.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like