Quick response saves Portland house from heavy fire damage

Posted Jan. 24, 2013, at 7:25 p.m.

PORTLAND, Maine — A speedy response enabled Portland firefighters to extinguish a fire on Munroe Court on Thursday afternoon.

City spokeswoman Nicole Clegg said crews were dispatched to the scene at 2 p.m. and found fire in a bedroom of the two-story townhouse.

The fire was contained within 30 minutes of first responders arriving on the scene, Clegg said. The home had approximately $1,000 in damage and the occupants will be able to return home later Thursday, she added.

Electrical wiring caused the fire, Clegg said. The building’s fire alarms and smoke detectors helped allow a quick response.