Heat tape cause of fire that destroyed Benton mobile home

Posted Jan. 24, 2013, at 11:01 a.m.

BENTON, Maine — Heat tape is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a mobile home on Unity Road in Benton on Wednesday night.

Fairfield Fire Chief Duane Bickford said crews were dispatched to the scene just after 6 p.m., and the homeowners had gotten out safely by the time firefighters arrived.

Bickford said the homeowners were using the heat tape in an attempt to keep their pipes from freezing in the subzero temperatures. He is advising homeowners to use “lots of insulation and be careful.”

Firefighters from Fairfield, Winslow and Clinton were able to get the fire under control in about 45 minutes, according to Bickford.

The chief said the freezing temperatures did not cause any water from hoses to freeze at the scene. He added the house wasn’t insured.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Mid-Maine