Fire destroys mobile home in Kennebec County

Posted Jan. 21, 2013, at 6 p.m.

CHELSEA, Maine — A woodstove is being blamed for a fire that destroyed a mobile home on Hallowell Road Monday morning.

Chelsea Assistant Fire Chief Jim Gagnon said crews were dispatched to the scene around 9 a.m. when a passer-by noticed the flames and called 911.

Gagnon said the blaze started in the living room and quickly spread to the porch. The far end of the home was engulfed in flames when firefighters arrived, he added.

Firefighters from Chelsea and Togus Medical Center managed to get the fire under control in about an hour, Gagnon said.

The homeowners were not home at the time of the fire while their daughter was spending the night at a friend’s house, Gagnon said. He added that the family has insurance.