Newport home damaged by fire, pellet stove blamed

 Newport Fire and Rescue responded to a fire at a house fire on Water Street on Thursday, Jan. 17. No people were reported in the residence during the fire.
Carter F. McCall | BDN
Newport Fire and Rescue responded to a fire at a house fire on Water Street on Thursday, Jan. 17. No people were reported in the residence during the fire. Buy Photo
By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 17, 2013, at 5:24 p.m.

NEWPORT, Maine — A window-mounted wood pellet stove is being blamed for a fire that broke out at a Water Street home on Thursday afternoon.

Newport fire Lt. Adam Noyes said the fire broke out shortly after noon, and the fact that Newport’s station is right down the street from the 52 Water St. residence was a factor in crews getting the blaze under control quickly.

Noyes said Newport police Officer David Wintle was the first to arrive, and he pulled the heater out of the window and knocked the fire down with a fire extinguisher before firefighters arrived shortly after.

The homeowners were not home at the time of the fire, the lieutenant said, but firefighters managed to rescue four cats and two dogs from the house.

The quick response from Newport, Corinna and Etna firefighters kept the blaze from spreading, according to Noyes.

“All the fire was contained to that one room, which was the living room,” he said. “It did not extend into the ceiling or walls.”

The home suffered smoke and water damage but was not a total loss, Noyes said. The homeowners do have insurance, he added.

The Red Cross has been called in to aid the family, Noyes said. They were staying in a local motel Thursday night.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/17/news/mid-maine/newport-home-damaged-by-fire-pellet-stove-blamed/ printed on December 17, 2014