Madison family loses cat, dog in Monday evening fire

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 17, 2013, at 12:29 p.m.

MADISON, Maine — A Madison family lost their home and two of their pets to a fire on Monday night.

Madison Fire Chief Roger Lightbody said Thursday morning that crews were sent to the blaze at 497 Main Street at approximately 5:45 p.m.

When firefighters arrived, flames were shooting out the back side of the house, Lightbody said.

“We contained the fire to the kitchen,” said Lightbody.

The fire started when a pot of boiling water was left unattended on a stove by accident, the chief said. Even though crews from Madison and Anson were able to get the flames under control quickly, the home suffered extensive smoke and water damage.

“They hit it fast and hard,” Lightbody said.

The homeowners, Jenny and Al Moralis, who lived at the house with their four children, were not injured, Lightbody said, but a cat and a dog perished. Firefighters were able to save another dog.

The one-story, ranch-style home is likely a total loss, the fire chief said. He added that the family is staying with friends and relatives in the area and is receiving assistance from the community.

“A couple of the churches have stepped up with donations,” Lightbody said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/17/news/mid-maine/madison-family-loses-cat-dog-in-monday-evening-fire/ printed on July 31, 2014