BANGOR, Maine — The state’s former top drug prosecutor, who was convicted of downloading child pornography, next month will plead guilty to a charge related to his flight to New Mexico.
James Cameron, 50, of Rome pleaded not guilty Jan. 8 in U.S. District Court in Portland to one count of contempt of court.
He was apprehended Dec. 2 in Albuquerque, N.M., after more than two weeks on the run. Cameron allegedly cut off his ankle bracelet less than 24 hours after he learned the appellate court in Boston had upheld seven of the 13 counts on which he was convicted.
Cameron’s trial on the contempt charge was scheduled to begin Feb. 5 in federal court in Bangor.
On Friday, U.S. District Court Judge John Woodcock granted a motion made by Federal Public Defender David Beneman that asked the trial be continued until Feb. 19 so that he could work out a possible agreement with federal prosecutors.
Federal prosecutors did not oppose the motion.
“Counsel has been conferring with Mr. Cameron and the government with an eye toward resolving the contempt case without need for a trial,” Beneman stated in his motion to continue. “Such a resolution is anticipated. A short additional period of time is needed for counsel and the defendant to be fully prepared to resolve the contempt case.”
The federal defender also said that the court’s schedule would allow a change of plea hearing to be held in Portland on Feb. 19.
Woodcock, who sentenced Cameron in March 2011 to 16 years in federal priso n, agreed.
A time for the change-of-plea hearing has not been set.
The judge said at the former assistant attorney general’s first appearance on the new charge that he would not resentence Cameron on the child pornography charges until the contempt charge had been resolved.
Federal prosecutors will not retry Cameron on the six counts set aside by the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in a 2-to-1 decision, Woodcock said Jan. 8.