June 23, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Walgreens robber sentenced to eight years in prison

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — The local transient accused of robbing the Walgreens pharmacy on Broadway last month was sentenced Friday at the Penobscot Judicial Center to eight years in prison.

Kevin Gray, 30, was sentenced after waiving indictment and pleading guilty to robbery in connection with the Dec. 4 hold-up. Gray also pleaded guilty to a myriad of other charges lodged in five separate and unrelated cases.

Those charges included two counts each of burglary and theft at a cafe and storage unit in Brooks in separate incidents in November of last year; theft, forgery and misuse of identification in an April 2012 incident; theft from a business in Bangor a few days before the robbery; and theft of a woman’s purse, which was quickly recovered, from McDonald’s on Broadway a short time after the robbery.

Charges of escape and violation of a condition of release, which were filed in connection with the robbery, were dismissed as part of Gray’s agreement with the district attorney’s office, Michael Roberts, deputy district attorney for Penobscot County, said Friday at the sentencing.

Gray was on bail on burglary and theft charges out of Hancock County when he committed the robbery, according to Roberts.

The defendant tried to plead guilty to the robbery charge at his first court appearance the day after the robbery. But District Court Judge Bruce Jordan would not allow him to do so before his court-appointed attorney, Marvin Glazier of Bangor, was able to review discovery materials.

The defendant has been held since his arrest at the Penobscot County Jail unable to post $25,000 cash bail.

The pharmacy was robbed at about 2:30 p.m. Tuesday, Dec. 4, after Gray passed a threatening note to the pharmacist, Roberts said Friday. No weapons were recovered when Gray was arrested less than 30 minutes later.

Patrol officers, detectives and the K-9 unit from the Bangor Police Department were at the scene shortly after the call came in and a man fitting the robber’s description was apprehended at 2:52 p.m. near Falvey Street, Bangor police said the day of the robbery.

Gray was spotted running toward an officer who was stationed on Falvey Street, according to police. He was apprehended by police and handcuffed, then tried to run from police again.

The escape charge stemmed from Gray’s attempt to run after being placed under arrest, according to Roberts.

When arrested, Gray was carrying a white Walgreens bag with at least two pill bottles and some other merchandise.

“I was really under the influence of narcotics, homeless at the time [of the robbery] and just out of control,” Gray replied when Superior Court Justice William Anderson asked the defendant why he had robbed the Walgreens.

In addition to prison time, Anderson ordered that Gray pay $257 in restitution to the Brooks cafe from which he admitted stealing a cookie jar that contained cash.

Gray faced up to 10 years in prison and a fine of up to $20,000 on the most serious charge of robbery.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like