Corinna man’s garage burns down in early morning fire

By Nick McCrea, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 06, 2013, at 7:01 p.m.

CORINNA, Maine — A local man’s garage was destroyed in a fire early Sunday morning, but firefighters managed to save a home nearby, according to a town fire lieutenant.

Fire crews were called to the Phinney Road home of Richard Curtis around 5 a.m. after receiving reports of a garage fire, Corinna fire Lt. Ken Clark said.

“By the time we got there, [the garage] had fallen in on itself,” Clark said.

At that point, crews tried to keep the flames away from a nearby trailer. The flames were close enough to melt the siding on the residence, according to Clark.

“That was the main concern, getting the fire knocked down so it didn’t get to the trailer,” Clark said. “It had a pretty good head start on us. There was no saving [the garage].”

Clark said Curtis’ wife’s vehicle was in the garage and also was destroyed in the blaze. He said he didn’t know if the couple has insurance.

No one was injured in the fire and no emergency personnel were injured fighting it, according to Clark.

Fire crews from Dexter, Garland, St. Albans and Newport assisted.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/06/news/mid-maine/corinna-mans-garage-burns-down-in-early-morning-fire/ printed on July 26, 2014