Chimney fire destroys home in Corinth

By Ryan McLaughlin, BDN Staff
Posted Jan. 02, 2013, at 11:41 a.m.

CORINTH, Maine — A home on Routes 43 and 11 was destroyed by a chimney fire early Wednesday morning, Corinth Fire Chief Scott Bragdon said.

Bragdon said crews were dispatched to the scene at 131 Exeter Road around 4 a.m., and freezing temperatures made battling the blaze more arduous.

“When we pulled up, the thermometer on the truck said it was 11 below zero,” said Bragdon, noting gusty winds made it feel like it was more than 20 below zero.

Because there were working smoke detectors and the female homeowner smelled smoke, the woman, her husband and their two children were able to get out of the 1½-story house safely, Bragdon said.

Bragdon said the blaze started in the chimney and the fire extended into the house. The attic was fully engulfed and flames were shooting through the roof, he added.

Even though the house is a total loss, many of the family’s belongings were salvageable, according to Bragdon.

Firefighters from Corinth, Bradford, Hudson and Charleston battled the blaze, which was under control in about two hours, Bragdon said.

The family had insurance on the home, and they are staying with friends and relatives in Corinth, the chief said.

http://bangordailynews.com/2013/01/02/news/penobscot/chimney-fire-destroys-home-in-corinth/ printed on December 28, 2014