Hancock man arrested after Facebook threat

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 27, 2012, at 6:52 p.m.

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A Hancock man arrested twice last month was arrested again Thursday after threatening on Facebook to stage a violent act in Ellsworth that he said would exceed what happened at Sandy Hook Elementary, according to police.

Lt. Harold Page of the Ellsworth Police Department said Thursday afternoon that police still were trying to sort through details but that Michael Carter, 38, had been placed under arrest. Page said Carter had posted a comment on the Ellsworth Police Department Facebook page in which he said that what happened at Sandy Hook “would be nothing” compared to what he would do in Ellsworth.

“He just got arrested,” Page said Thursday afternoon. “We’re still dealing with it.”

The threat was removed from the police department’s Facebook page.

The Sandy Hook Elementary School in Newtown, Conn., is where 26 people were killed — 20 of them children — in a shooting rampage earlier this month.

Ellsworth police Officer Kelvin Mote said Thursday it was unclear why Carter allegedly made the threat. Carter posted the threatening comment on his own Facebook page as well as on the department’s page, Mote said.

Mote said police became aware of the threatening comment around noon and that Carter was arrested at his home by Maine State Police between 2 p.m. and 2:30 p.m. State police arrested Carter on a probation hold but Ellsworth police also have charged him with terrorizing, Mote said.

Carter is being held without bail at Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth, he said.

Mote said several Ellsworth organizations were notified of the threat and placed on lockdown before Carter was taken into custody. The doors of local child day care facilities, schools, and the YMCA were locked and monitored by staff during the incident, he said, but parents were not notified because Carter never made any specific threat against any person or organization.

“It was enough [of a threat] that we were concerned,” Mote said.

He added that Carter has not explained his actions to police.

“He’s not in the mood to talk,” the officer said.

In November, Carter was arrested twice five days apart in connection with incidents involving his estranged wife and himself, according to police.

Carter allegedly assaulted his estranged wife Nov. 21 at a home in Penobscot. He left the home after a family member called police and was tracked down and arrested later that day by police in Ellsworth. Carter was charged in connection with the Nov. 21 incident with domestic violence assault, aggravated criminal trespass, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon — a knife in this case — and unlawful sexual touching, according to Maine State Police.

Police have indicated publicly that on Nov. 16, Carter allegedly trespassed and terrorized his estranged wife at the same home. He was tracked down by police after that incident while driving on Route 15 in Sedgwick, where he was taken into custody. He was charged with criminal trespass and domestic violence terrorizing in connection with that incident, according to the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.

Follow BDN reporter Bill Trotter on Twitter at @billtrotter.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/12/27/news/hancock/hancock-man-arrested-after-facebook-threat/ printed on August 21, 2014