SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine — A home on Bodge Street was destroyed by fire on Christmas night, but the state fire marshal’s office determined it wasn’t suspicious.
South Portland Fire Lt. Robb Couture said Wednesday firefighters were dispatched to the scene just before 8 p.m. Tuesday, and flames were shooting through the rear of the bungalow-style ranch home when crews arrived.
Couture said the homeowners were visiting family and were not home at the time of the blaze, but crews did rescue a dog from the burning house.
The cluttered house made it difficult for firefighters to battle the blaze, according to Couture, and the fire quickly spread to the attic.
Firefighters were able to get the fire under control in about an hour, but the house was considered a total loss, Couture said.
The dog that was rescued from the house was taken to a local veterinarian to be checked out, but Couture said the dog was fine.
Couture said the homeowners were insured. The fire marshal’s office has yet to determine a cause.