Sanchez to remain a Jet next season

By The Sports Xchange, Staff
Posted Dec. 21, 2012, at 6:16 p.m.

Quarterback Mark Sanchez avoided saying Firday whether he expects to return to the New York Jets next season, but a report indicated that the team will bring him back in 2013

Sanchez has been benched for Sunday’s game against San Diego. Third-string quarterback Greg McElroy will make his first career start.

Newsday reported Friday there are indications that Sanchez will remain with the team next year despite a disastrous 2012 season in which he has thrown 17 interceptions. Sanchez is due to make $8.25 million in 2013, which could be a deterrent to a possible trade.

Sanchez said thoughts of a trade in the offseason have not entered his mind.

“I’m a Jet, and that’s all I’ve known,” he said.

Sanchez lost his starting job after the Jets’ 14-10 loss at Tennessee on Monday night when he threw four interceptions and lost a fumble. The defeat knocked the Jets out of playoff contention.

Coach Rex Ryan avoided the topic of Sanchez’s future earlier this week.

“I have absolutely zero focus on that right now,” he said. “That’s for another day.”

 

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/12/21/sports/sanchez-to-remain-a-jet-next-season/ printed on July 22, 2014