May 22, 2018
High School Sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Lunch Debt | Robert Indiana | Stolen Shed

High winds, lightning threat disrupt two Brewer games

By Dave Barber, BDN Staff

BREWER, Maine — A power outage and the threat of lightning disrupted a pair of Brewer High School sports events Friday night.

The power outage that at one point blacked out Wilson Street and some of the nearby areas of the city, including Parkway South by the high school, forced postponement of the Witches’ varsity girls basketball home game with archrival Bangor.

Two other Friday night high school games were also postponed. The game between Schenck of East Millinocket vs. Bangor Christian-Schenck girls basketball game was postponed to Jan. 15, while Houlton at Hodgdon was postponed to Thursday at 7 p.m.

Also, Saturday’s boys basketball game between Central Aroostook of Mars Hill and Fort Kent has been postponed with no makeup date set.

It was the second postponement of the week for Bangor, whose game Tuesday night at Farmington against Mt. Blue was postponed due to inclement weather.

Brewer Athletic Director Dave Utterback said it was likely, but not yet set, that Friday’s game against Bangor would be replayed between Jan. 21 and Jan. 26.

The outage, according to a Bangor Hydro spokesperson, was caused by either a blown transformer on Green Point Road or downed power lines caused by wind-blown tree limbs.

Utterback said he was at the Brewer High swim meet at the YMCA pool on Second Street in Bangor at 5:30 p.m. when the lights were turned out and the pool cleared of competitors, officials and spectators, due to a threat of lightning associated with the rainstorm that was moving through the area.

At the same time, Utterback started receiving messages that the power was out at the high school.

Utterback drove over to check it out and saw Wilson Street in Brewer was dark from the intersection with Main Street to at least Whiting Hill.

According to Utterback, 400-500 fans remained in the gym to wait out the power outage, but Utterback was told by Bangor Hydro that the power likely would not return before 7:30 p.m.

Utterback decided at 6:15 p.m. to postpone the game because of the uncertainty of when the outage would end.

The all-clear for the swim meet was given at the YMCA at 6:20 p.m., said Utterback, and competition resumed there.

At exactly 7 p.m., the planned starting time for the varsity girls game, the lights snapped on, but it was too late to get the game going.

The Bangor-Brewer varsity boys basketball game at Red Barry Gymnasium in Bangor was not affected by either wind or loss of power.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like