Rockland officials look to improve school safety

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 21, 2012, at 8:13 p.m.

ROCKLAND, Maine — School and city officials met Friday to discuss school safety in the wake of last week’s school shooting in Newtown, Conn.

“I’m pleased with what we have in place,” Rockland Mayor William Clayton said Friday afternoon following the meeting.

Clayton, City Manager James Smith, Regional School Unit 13 Superintendent Lewis Collins and RSU 13 Director of School Improvement Neal Guyer, and RSU 13 Board Chairwoman Esther “Tess” Kilgour met concerning school safety.

“The meeting went well. I’m certainly impressed with what we have in place but there’s always room for improvement,” the mayor said. Details of security measures were not released.

He said the meeting was only the first and that in January, a meeting of city, school and public safety officials will be held.

There was a partial lockdown Dec. 6 at the South School in Rockland after a parent, whose children had been removed from the home by the state, had made a comment about trying to get them from the elementary school.

Students were kept inside during recess and the front lobby door was locked. That door is normally the only one that is open from the outside during the school day. A police cruiser was parked outside the school that day.

Since that incident, a cruiser has been parked outside the school on an intermittent basis.

CORRECTION:

An earlier version of this story contained an error. A meeting of city, school and public safety officials will be held in January, but it will not be open to the public.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/12/21/news/midcoast/rockland-officials-look-to-improve-school-safety/ printed on September 15, 2014