May 27, 2018
Lewiston-Auburn Latest News | Poll Questions | Memorial Day | Bangor Day Trips | Center for Wildlife

Accidental fire causes Farmington high school evacuation

By Donna M. Perry, Sun Journal

FARMINGTON, Maine — An accidental fire prompted an evacuation of Mt. Blue High School and the Foster Career and Technical Education Center on Friday morning at the Mt. Blue campus.

It was a small fire, Farmington Fire Rescue Chief Terry Bell said, and no one was injured.

The building was evacuated for about 30 to 45 minutes, he said.

The fire broke out in a paint booth where a composite project in a cardboard box was drying in the E-wing, he said. The project was too close to a heating source — a heat gun — and it caught fire, he said.

Composite manufacturing teacher John MacDonald used a handheld fire extinguisher to quell the fire and when firefighters arrived they finished putting it out, he said.

There was no damage to the booth or the classroom, Bell said.

The fire was too small to activate the sprinkler system, he said.

Two state fire investigators and a fire inspector from the state fire marshal’s office responded to the school as required by law, he said.

The fire was reported at 8:41 a.m. and was knocked down quickly, he said.

“It was pretty much out when we arrived,” Bell said.

The school handled the situation very well, he added.

Fourteen firefighters responded with two firetrucks.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like