Maine’s Howley named Camp All-American
ORONO, Maine – University of Maine football player Chris Howley has been named to the prestigious Walter Camp Foundation All-American team.
Howley, a senior offensive lineman from Runnemede, N.J., is a two-time first team All-CAA selection. He anchored an offensive line that has ranked among the best in the CAA in sacks allowed and helped produce a 3,000-yard passer for the first time in school history and a 1,000-yard rusher last season.
This season the line produced the second-most prolific passer in the CAA in Marcus Wasilewski (214.9 ypg) while the team also ranked in the top half in rush yards per game.
Howley has garnered numerous accolades as he is also a two-time All-New England honoree and a two-time ECAC All-Star in addition to being named a 2012 College Sports Madness first team All-American.
NYC Marathon runners offered refunds
Runners prevented from racing in this year’s New York City Marathon due to Hurricane Sandy will get a full refund or entry into the race in one of the next three years, organizers announced Thursday.
The New York Road Runners, which stages the race and has a no-refund policy, said “extraordinary circumstances” forced the group to offer a return of the entry fee — ranging from $216 to $347 — to runners who hadn’t canceled before Oct. 24, 2012. The largest Atlantic storm on record struck on Oct. 29, with the race set for Nov. 4.
Runners who want to return were offered a guaranteed spot in the 2013, 2014, or 2015 race, NYRR said in a letter to participants, which was also released by its press office. Those entrants will be required to pay the entry and processing fees for the year of the race they choose. If the entry fee increases, runners will continue to pay the 2012 price.
Organizers also offered the choice of a guaranteed entry for the 2013 NYC Half marathon, scheduled for March 17. Runners must pay the entry and processing fees for the 13.1-mile race.
Three-time Olympian worked as paid escort
Three-time Olympian runner Suzy Favor Hamilton has admitted that she works for a Las Vegas escort service, according to multiple reports.
Favor Hamilton, 44, apologized Thursday after a report by The Smoking Gun website said that she had been employed in that capacity.
After the story appeared, Hamilton tweeted messages to her followers, saying that she was “drawn to escorting in large part because it provided many coping mechanisms for me when I was going through a very challenging time with my marriage and my life.”
Favor Hamilton competed for the U.S. at the Olympics in 1992, 1996 and 2000.
Top-recruit Parker commits to Duke
High-school standout Jabari Parker committed to Duke University Thursday during an afternoon press conference call.
A 6-foot-8 forward from Simeon Career Academy, Parker selected the Blue Devils over BYU, Florida, Michigan State and Stanford.
Parker, the nation’s No. 2 recruit, is Simeon’s highest ranked since No. 5 Derrick Rose, who graduated in 2007, attended Memphis and became the No. 1 overall pick by the Chicago Bulls. Nick Anderson, Bobby Simmons and Ben Wilson are also among the players who have attended Simeon.
Parker is the son of former NBA player Sonny Parker, who handled his recruitment along with Jabari’s mother, Lola, and Simeon coach Robert Smith.
Parker was named the ESPNChicago.com Player of the Year.
RG3 practices again with Redskins
Robert Griffin III appears on track to return to the lineup Sunday against the Philadelphia Eagles after practicing for a second consecutive day Thursday.
“If there is no setback, doctors feel like he will be ready to go. There wasn’t a setback today so that was good sign,” Redskins head coach Mike Shanahan said.
The rookie quarterback missed last week’s victory over the Cleveland Browns with a sprained knee.
“Obviously he is not 100 percent yet. I think everybody knows that,” Shanahan said. “But like I said, if there is no setback then he should be able to go (Sunday).”
Offensive coordinator Kyle Shanahan said he wasn’t sure if RG3 would wear a knee brace Sunday.
While the offense doesn’t change drastically when fellow rookie Kirk Cousins comes into the game, who is behind center does affect formations and protections.
NHL cancels games through Jan. 14
More NHL games have been lost to the lockout, as the league announced another round of cancellations Thursday, this time through Jan. 14.
The latest round comes with speculation that the NHL has set a mid-January deadline to have a new collective bargaining agreement or cancel the entire season.
So far, 625 regular-season games, or just more than 50 percent of the schedule has been lost. The two sides haven’t met face-to-face since Dec. 13.
NHL Players Association executive director Donald Fehr told reporters in Toronto before an NHLPA charity game Wednesday night that they are ready to resume talking whenever the league agrees to meet.
LSU suspends Wing for bowl game
LSU punter Brad Wing has been suspended for the Chick-fil-A Bowl matchup with Clemson on New Year’s Eve for an undisclosed reason, according to a New Orleans Times-Picayune report, citing a source close to the situation.
Wing also missed the Tigers’ season opener with a foot injury. The school hasn’t confirm the Australian’s status for the bowl game to the paper, and head coach Les Miles isn’t scheduled to speak with the media again until Friday.
Should Wing miss the game, the Tigers would be missing the punter who ranks 12th in the country with an average of 44.8 yards per punt. He’ll be replaced by fellow Aussie Jaime Keehn, who punted in the opener and averaged 41 yards on his three punts.
Bills’ Jones says illness not career-threatening
Buffalo wide receiver Donald Jones’ breakout season came to an end this week, when the Bills placed him on injured reserve with an undisclosed medical condition.
Jones’ finished with 41 catches for 443 yards and four touchdowns, similar to numbers from his first two seasons combined. He’ll have to wait until next season to build on that success.
“Going from having really the best season that I’ve had in the league to this now, it’s definitely something that I didn’t want to have to go through,” Jones told reporters Thursday. “But that initial impact is done now. So now it’s just moving forward. I’ve got to go home and get right and get everything healthy and get back on the field and be strong for everybody.”
Jones declined to discuss specifics about his condition, except to say that’s “not career-threatening at all” and is something he’s been “dealing with for years.”