Mt. View student suspended after school threat; other threats against schools not credible

By Tom Groening, BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 20, 2012, at 2:22 p.m.

THORNDIKE, Maine — A threat made against Mount View High School on Tuesday resulted in a student being suspended, the RSU 3 superintendent said Thursday.

Also on Thursday, the chief of the Maine State Police issued a statement noting that “no credible threat against any Maine school” had been identified following investigations into a rumor spread on Facebook this week that someone would do harm at schools in Cumberland and York counties on Friday.

In Thorndike, the student, whose gender Superintendent Heather Perry would not identify, “made a veiled threat” against the high school, she said. The Mount View complex includes an elementary, middle and high schools.

While investigating that threat, school officials became even more concerned about safety, Perry said, and a “lockout” was implemented at the school complex on Wednesday from 11 a.m. to 1 p.m. The lockout procedure included locking all exterior doors and classroom doors.

“It increased our concerns around the nature of the threat,” Perry said of the investigation. Those concerns were resolved later in the day, she said, and the lockout was lifted.

Perry said school administrators worked closely with the Waldo County Sheriff’s Department to address the student’s threat.

One positive outcome of the incident was discovering one door in the elementary school wing that did not lock properly, she said. That problem has been addressed.

No one was injured and the student responsible for the threat was suspended for an undisclosed amount of time.

Meanwhile, Col. Robert Williams of the Maine State Police, issued a statement Thursday following investigations into rumors spread in the wake of the tragic elementary school shooting on Dec. 14, in Newtown, Conn., in which 20 students were slain.

“State police has not found any threats directed at Maine on Facebook, or any other social media,” Williams said. “We have chased baseless rumors throughout the past 24 hours and found no credible threat directed at any Maine school.”

Williams said his and other state agencies will continue to work with local law enforcement and education officials to process and evaluate information for the continued safety and security of Maine schools.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/12/20/education/state-police-find-no-credible-threat-against-maine-schools/ printed on July 31, 2014