Rockland officials react to Connecticut school massacre

By Stephen Betts, BDN Staff
Posted Dec. 15, 2012, at 9:58 a.m.

ROCKLAND, Maine — City officials in Rockland reacted Friday night to the mass killing earlier in the day at a Connecticut school.

“It is with a heavy heart that I must come to you tonight to discuss the tragic scenario we have all heard about today in Connecticut,” Mayor William Clayton stated in a statement issued shortly after 11 p.m. Friday.

He said he has asked the city manager to contact the principals of the schools in Rockland, school board members, the police chief, fire chief, and any other official necessary to convene an urgent meeting to discuss procedures for responding to an attack at a school.

“We have the luxury of living in a state where things like this ‘just don’t seem to happen’ but we cannot rest on our laurels and must be ever vigilant in our preparedness,” Clayton said.

There are five public schools in Rockland — Oceanside High School East, South School elementary, Rockland District Middle School, Mid-Coast School of Technology, and the McLain School which houses an alternative education program as well as administrative offices. The South School and RDMS are attached to each other.

On Dec. 6, there was a semi-lockdown at the South School that police and school officials said was a precautionary measure and that was no threat aimed at the school. The front door to the school was locked, students were kept inside during recess, and a police cruiser was parked outside the school for the day. The matter involved a child having been taken by the state from a home and a parent making a comment about possibly trying to take the child from the school.

There was no incident at the school.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/12/15/news/midcoast/rockland-officials-react-to-connecticut-school-massacre-plan-saturday-vigil/ printed on September 23, 2014