May 21, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Car Theft

Guns reported stolen from Bar Harbor inn

Bar Harbor Police Department | BDN
Bar Harbor Police Department | BDN
William Thurston
By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

BAR HARBOR, Maine — Police say they have recovered three guns and that a local man has confessed to taking them from an inn on Holland Avenue.

According to Sgt. Shaun Farrar of the Bar Harbor Police Department, the burglary occurred Saturday morning around 7:30 a.m. at the Castlemaine Inn, which is closed for the winter. The inn owner, who lives at another property, arrived at the inn around 8 a.m. and came upon the intruder, who fled the scene, Farrar said. The businessman called police and soon realized that three firearms that were in storage at the inn had been taken: a 10mm Colt handgun, a Savage 270 rifle and a muzzleloader, according to Farrar.

Farrar said the inn owner gave police a description of the person who fled and then, when shown photos of suspects the department has dealt with previously, identified one of them as the person he saw. Bar Harbor officers then called Maine State Police, who responded with a canine unit that tracked a scent from the inn to near where the pictured suspect lives, he added.

So police went to the Greeley Avenue home of William Thurston, 18, and questioned him about the burglary, Farrar said.

“They brought him in to interview him and he confessed,” the officer said.

Police believe Thurston already had taken the guns from the inn and then returned to the inn when he was discovered by the owner, according to Farrar. He said Thurston is suspected of entering the inn through an open or unlocked door, rather than having forced his way inside.

Thurston was arrested on charges of burglary and theft of firearms, Farrar said. The burglary charge is a Class C crime punishable by up to 10 years in prison and a $20,000 fine, while the theft of firearms charge is a Class B crime punishable by up to five years in prison and a $5,000 fine.

Farrar said Thurston was transferred to Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth, where he was being held Saturday on $750 bail.

Follow BDN reporter Bill Trotter on Twitter at @billtrotter.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like