SOUTH PORTLAND, Maine — A house on Park Street was heavily damaged by fire on Wednesday evening.
The call came in just before 8 p.m., according to South Portland Fire Chief Kevin Guimond, who was a half-mile from the scene when crews were dispatched.
“There was heavy fire on the front of the building,” Guimond said Thursday morning.
Crews arrived within three minutes of being sent to the scene, according to Guimond. Firefighters were able to contain the fire to the first floor and attic of the two-story house.
The fire was out within a half an hour, Guimond said, and a discarded cigarette ignited the blaze. The house’s renters weren’t home at the time, but crews were able to rescue two cats and a bird.
The house’s owner does have insurance, Guimond said, and the tenants are staying with friends and relatives in the area.