May 24, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | Mark Eves | Any-Deer Permits | RCV Strategy

Woman who shut door on police officer’s foot charged with assault, refusing arrest

By Nick McCrea, BDN Staff

INDIAN ISLAND, Maine — An Indian Island woman was arrested Wednesday, Dec. 5, and charged with assaulting a police officer, refusing to submit to arrest and two counts of domestic violence assault after slamming a front door on an officer’s foot and then trying to force the officer from her residence.

“The officer responded to a 911 call that was transferred from [Penobscot Regional Communications Center,]” Indian Island police Chief Robert Bryant said Monday afternoon. “There was a request for an officer, then the call was disconnected.”

Officer Mike Connors, who has been with the force for about a year, responded to the call from a residence at 37 Bear Ridge Road around 3:30 p.m, Bryant said. Connors reported that he heard shouting inside the house and went to knock on the door.

Jessie Goodall, 31, answered the door and “did not want [the officer] there,” Bryant said. The officer noticed people crying inside and a person behind Goodall who had visible marks and scratches on her. There were five people in the home, including Goodall, at the time of the incident, Bryant said.

Connors believed an assault had taken place and attempted to enter the residence.

“She tried to force the door back onto him, slamming his foot in the door,” Bryant said. Connors pushed his way through the door and went inside to check on the people he believed had been assaulted.

“He had a responsibility to ensure the safety of the people in the residence,” Bryant said. “It was very apparent upon the officer’s investigation that she had committed assault on two people in the residence.”

While the officer investigated, Goodall attempted to push him back out the door and continued to physically resist him, according to Bryant.

A member of the Penobscot Indian Nation Warden Service arrived at the residence and assisted Connors in arresting Goodall.

Connors did not require medical treatment and remains on duty, according to Bryant.

A Penobscot County Jail official said Goodall remained in jail Monday night, with bail set at $300 cash.

Goodall was sentenced in 2011 to 90 days in jail and $900 in fines for three assaults, according to previous Bangor Daily News court listings.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like