June 19, 2018
Bangor Latest News | Poll Questions | John Bapst | Medicaid Expansion | Family Separations

Judge sets high bail for men accused of burglary at elderly woman’s home

By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

BANGOR, Maine — Two Old Town men charged in connection with an early Saturday morning burglary and theft at a 78-year-old woman’s home on Highland Avenue made their first court appearance Monday at the Penobscot Judicial Center.

District Court Judge Gregory Campbell set bail at $50,000 for John Taylor, 20, and at $40,000 for Wayne Sanborn, 30. Both men said through the attorneys who represented them for Monday’s hearings that they could not afford such a high bail.

They remained Monday night at the Penobscot County Jail.

Both men were charged with Class B burglary and Class C theft, according to the Penobscot County district attorney’s office, in connection with a home invasion about 1:45 a.m. Saturday while the woman was asleep. The men rummaged through the home, taking jewelry and other valuables when they left, Penobscot County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy said outside the courthouse after the brief hearing.

“This is a particularly egregious case,” Almy said. “The victim is elderly and dependent on oxygen. She woke up and saw them. This was a pretty scary situation. She was easy prey.”

Assistant District Attorney Susan Pope told Campbell that Sanborn knew the victim lived alone and was disabled because he had delivered newspapers to her home.

Sanborn worked as an independent contractor delivering the Bangor Daily News from Sept. 15 to Dec. 1, according to circulation department records.

The victim did not attend Monday’s hearing. Members of her family were in the courtroom but declined to speak to reporters.

Sanborn was arrested at an Old Town jewelry shop about 9 hours after the break-in, Almy said, when the defendant tried to pawn the victim’s jewelry, valued at between $2,000 and $3,000. The owner of the store was suspicious the items might have been stolen and called police.

Taylor was arrested around 8 p.m. Saturday night at a Main Street residence, according to Old Town police.

Taylor and Sanford are scheduled to appear in court again Feb. 5.

If convicted, each man faces up to 10 years in prison on the burglary charge and up to five years on the theft charge. They could be ordered to pay restitution for stolen items that police are unable to recover, according to the district attorney’s office.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like