June 22, 2018
Penobscot Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Husband in Alton murder-suicide was evaluated at Acadia Hospital two days before deaths

Gabor Degre | BDN
Gabor Degre | BDN
Police are investigating the death of three people that were found Monday, Nov. 19, 2012, at this house at 326 Alton Tannery Road in Alton.
By Dawn Gagnon, BDN Staff

ALTON, Maine — Two days before 43-year-old Scott Reed killed his estranged wife and then shot himself, he underwent an evaluation at a Bangor psychiatric hospital, Maine State Police spokesman Stephen McCausland said Sunday.

In what state police now are calling an “extremely unusual murder-double suicide,” Scott Reed stabbed his wife, Danielle Reed, 39, to death at their Alton Tannery Road house in the early afternoon of Nov. 19. He later killed himself after meeting up with his friend, Daniel Young, 41, of Bradley, who also was found dead in the residence.

The mental health evaluation was conducted on Saturday, Nov. 17, after Reed — who recently had returned to Maine after spending a few weeks at his father’s home in Arizona — turned up at the rented Alton Tannery Road home he and his estranged wife once shared and damaged her car and some of her belongings, McCausland said Sunday.

State police and Penobscot County sheriff’s deputies were sent to the residence, McCausland said. Although Danielle Reed declined to press charges, McCausland said that she told police that she planned to gather some belongings and go to Portland to stay with a friend.

Police who responded to Danielle Reed’s call were concerned about Reed’s demeanor, McCausland said Sunday.

“He told an officer that he was suicidal,” McCausland said. Reed initially was taken to Eastern Maine Medical Center but then was sent to The Acadia Hospital. He was released later that day.

McCausland said that Scott Reed “made contact with Danielle on Monday seeking his medications. That was the premise of why Danielle went to the home alone on Monday.” McCausland said she did so against her family’s advice.

Although he did not have a list of medications Scott Reed was taking, McCausland said Reed suffered from a variety of ailments, including head trauma, that stemmed from a serious car crash almost a year ago. The trauma also reportedly affected his personality, McCausland said earlier.

Some aspects of what happened next remain under investigation.

The state’s chief medical examiner determined last month that Scott Reed committed suicide but needed more investigative work to determine Young’s manner of death, McCausland said.

Also on Sunday, McCausland said that while some results from the medical examiner and state police crime lab are still pending, state police investigators say it has become clear to them that Young took his own life.

On Monday, while he was with Reed, Young called a former girlfriend to tell her that “this was going to be his last day and that he was saying goodbye,” McCausland said.

Reed left a suicide note. Through interviews with people who knew the two men, investigators learned the pair had a suicide pact. Both of the firearms found at the scene — a .357-caliber revolver and a .45-caliber handgun — belonged to Young.

“We’re still working on essentially getting more information from forensics at the crime lab as well as interviews. Both firearms will be examined. That may give us [insight] as to who handled the guns.”

All three were found dead in an upstairs bedroom.

Scott Reed’s body was propped up on two pillows he had placed on the bodies of his wife and his friend, “which is extremely unusual. It has puzzled all of the investigators in this case, the bizarre scene that they had to encounter.”

Also on Sunday, McCausland released a more detailed timeline of what happened on the day that the three died.

Police believe that Scott Reed stabbed Danielle Reed early in the afternoon of Nov. 19 and then used her car to drive to Bangor, where he met up with Young at Mynt Investments on Park Street, where Young was employed.

The two men then went to Miguel’s Mexican Restaurant, where each had a beer, McCausland said. They then drove to Alton in Young’s vehicle and “spent some time in the home. We feel that Dan then shot himself in the bedroom near Danielle’s body.” McCausland said investigators believe that Young shot himself about 5:30 p.m.

Reed telephoned a female friend about 6:50 p.m. and told her to meet him at the house. She called police at 7:23 p.m. after finding one of the three bodies in an upstairs bedroom. Police later found the other two in that room, McCausland said.

According to an April report by the Maine Domestic Abuse Homicide Review Panel, six of the 13 Mainers who committed domestic violence homicides in Maine between March 2008 and July 2011 also took their own lives, and nine of the 13 exhibited suicidal behavior before committing the crimes.

Bangor Daily News writers Nick Sambides Jr., Nick McCrea and Nok-Noi Ricker contributed to this report.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like