BATH, Maine — A Bath family was displaced from their home Friday in a fire caused by an electrical problem, according to Bath Fire Chief Steve Hinds.
No one was home at 60 Central Ave. at around 4:30 p.m Friday when a neighbor noticed smoke and called 911. Hinds said crews from Bath, West Bath, Phippsburg and Brunswick arrived to find heavy smoke pouring from the building. Firefighters attacked the fire, which was mostly confined to the kitchen area of the apartment, through the building’s front door.
The family who lived in the apartment was left without a home and many of their belongings, according to Hinds. They received assistance from the American Red Cross and the Salvation Army.
The home that burned is within a housing complex called Atlantic Townhouse Apartments and was located in a block of six apartments. The units on either side of the fire scene sustained some smoke damage and the entire block was evacuated during the fire, but Hinds said all the units except the site of the fire, where there was an estimated $20,000 in damage, were livable by Friday evening.