PLYMOUTH, Maine — A two-story home on Ridge Road was destroyed by fire on Friday morning.
Plymouth Fire and Rescue Chief Walt Gibbons said the blaze broke out around 7:30 a.m. at 783 Ridge Road.
The husband and wife who own the house weren’t home at the time, but a dog and two cats perished in the fire, according to Gibbons. The homeowners’ names weren’t immediately available, he said.
Gibbons was one of the first responders to arrive on the scene, and the house was engulfed in flames when he arrived.
“We just tried a defensive attack and tried to knock it down,” Gibbons said.
Gibbons said crews waited to go inside the house until backup arrived. Firefighters from Plymouth, Newport, Etna, Corinna, Stetson, Newburgh and Dixmont battled the fire.
Gibbons said the fire started in a first-floor bathroom, and that an electric heater was the primary cause.
Firefighters had problems with water icing up during the cold early morning hours, and Ridge Road was closed for a little more than four hours, Gibbons said.
The homeowners did not have insurance, but firefighters were able to salvage guns, jewelry and antiques from the house, which Gibbons said is gutted.
Anybody who wants to donate to the family can stop by the Plymouth Store on Route 7, where a collection has been set up. Gibbons said the Red Cross has been contacted as well.
Two firefighters suffered minor injuries but did not need to go to a hospital, Gibbons said.