Sangerville teen sentenced to youth center for robbery, burglary, thefts

Posted Nov. 27, 2012, at 10:34 a.m.
Last modified Nov. 27, 2012, at 4:52 p.m.

DOVER-FOXCROFT, Maine — A Sangerville teenager was sentenced Monday in District Court to Mountain View Youth Development Center in Charleston until he turns 18 for robbing another juvenile at gunpoint and for seven other offenses, according to the Piscataquis County district attorney’s office.

Joshua M. Hanson, 15, admitted earlier this month that he had committed the following crimes: Class A robbery, Class B burglary, Class B theft of a firearm, Class C criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon, Class C theft by unauthorized taking, Class D burglary of a motor vehicle, Class E theft by unauthorized taking and Class E unlawful possession of a scheduled drug.

An admission in juvenile court is equivalent to a guilty plea by an adult in District or Superior Court.

“It’s an indeterminate sentence,” Piscataquis County District Attorney R. Christopher Almy said earlier this month. “If he does well in the program, the Department of Corrections has the discretion to let him out when they feel it’s appropriate. If juveniles do well in their programs, they get out sooner, if not, they get out later.”

The charges stem from a string of burglaries in Sangerville on Sept. 9 and 10, when a dozen vehicles and two homes were burglarized, according to a previously published report.

Cash and thousands of dollars’ worth of property were stolen, including a video camera, video game consoles, a guitar, knife, computer and .22-caliber semiautomatic handgun.

In a juvenile petition filed with the Piscataquis County district attorney’s office, Piscataquis County Sheriff’s Department Investigator Guy Dow said his investigation was focused on Hanson immediately as witnesses saw him with a guitar, backpack and bags, but it would be nearly a month before charges were filed.

On Oct. 6, a deputy from Penobscot County Sheriff’s Department contacted Dow to find out if items recovered from a Carmel residence were stolen in any burglaries in his area. As it turned out, they were. A compound bow, a video camera, Sony PlayStation 3 game console, Hewlett-Packard computer and several other items were recovered and returned to victims of the Sangerville burglaries.

The person who was in possession of the stolen items said he had gotten them from Hanson.

Information about whether that person has been charged in connection with Hanson’s crimes was not available Tuesday.

At about 2 p.m. Oct. 9 , a boy was walking along a trail behind the Hardwood Products building in Guilford when Hanson came up behind him and held the stolen handgun to the back of the boy’s head, according to court documents. Hanson ordered him to empty his backpack and not move until he was out of sight. The boy complied.

A concerned parent notified Dow of the incident.

Dow went to the defendant’s home, but no one answered his knock at the door, even though he could hear someone inside.

Dow soon caught up with Hanson in Guilford near Clark’s Restaurant. The 15-year-old ran into the woods when Dow yelled for him to stop.

Hanson eventually stopped and Dow handcuffed him.

Hanson was in the possession of marijuana, a knife stolen from a vehicle and a .22-caliber handgun that had been stolen from a residence a month earlier. The gun, which was believed to be the same one used to rob the boy earlier in the day, was loaded, but there was no round in the chamber, police reported.

Hanson has been held at the juvenile facility in Charleston since his arrest.


BDN writer Alex Barber contributed to this report.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business