Firefighters from Mattawamkeag, Lincoln stop Winn trailer fire

Posted Nov. 25, 2012, at 5:42 p.m.
Last modified Nov. 26, 2012, at 1:29 p.m.

WINN, Maine — The homeowner was throwing things in frustration, but that didn’t stop firefighters from dousing the fire that threatened his trailer Saturday, Mattawamkeag Fire Chief Robert Powers said.

The fire at 470 Phillips Road was contained to the living room after it began in the chimney of a wood stove and spread into an adjacent wall, Powers said. No one was injured.

“It was a really good stop right in the room or the corner right near where it started,” Powers said Saturday.

Homeowner Terry Hoyt caught a break in that Powers, his wife Lynn, son Jacob and Mattawamkeag fire Lt. Donald Olson were at the Mattawamkeag fire station organizing the vehicles in the station bays when the call came in early Saturday afternoon, Powers said.

Powers was able to roll an engine and call for his crews, who cover Winn, and mutual aid from Lincoln Fire Department almost immediately. The first truck from Mattawamkeag arrived in about five minutes, Powers said.

When they arrived, they saw smoke pouring from the back of the 1970s-vintage trailer and Hoyt throwing pitchers and glasses in a frustration that Powers said he found quite understandable.

Firefighters attacked the flames from the exterior and went into the trailer to douse them at their source, Powers said. The trailer was damaged but is salvageable.

“It is not a total loss,” Powers said.

About 25 firefighters from both towns, including a dozen from Mattawamkeag, handled the fire, Powers said.

“These two departments work very well together,” he said.

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Penobscot