May 21, 2018
College sports Latest News | Poll Questions | Marijuana Ties | Mary Mayhew | Vintage Finery

Weekend college sports roundup, men’s basketball: St. Joseph’s 70, Southern Maine 56


GORHAM, Maine — Sophomore forward Steve Simonds had 15 points, seven rebounds and six assists to lead the St. Joseph’s College Monks to a 70-56 win over the University of Southern Maine Huskies in a non-conference men’s basketball game Sunday afternoon at Hill Gymnasium in Gorham, Maine.

With the win, the Monks of Standish improved to 2-0 and secured possession of the Costello Cup, presented annually to the winner of the contest between the two schools, for the fifth straight year.

Contested over the past 23 years, the Costello Cup honors the late Richard “Doc” Costello, former USM Athletic Director and longtime basketball coach. The loss was the first of the season for the Huskies after a three-game winning streak to open the 2012-13 campaign. St. Joseph’s leads the series 15-8.

Simonds was one of three Monks players to reach double figures in scoring. Junior forward Nicholas Jobin and junior guard Matthew Medeiros added 13 and 12 points each as the Monks shot an outstanding 50.9 percent (28-for-55) from the field.

Southern Maine junior guard Conor Sullivan led all scorers with 18 points and a team-high seven rebounds. Senior guard Alex Kee added 13 points, six rebounds, three assists and two steals, while classmate Mike Poulin added eight points, six rebounds and seven assists.

Ahead by six, 30-24, at the half, the Monks opened the second stanza with a 7-2 run to take control of the contest. Simonds factored heavily into the run for the Monks assisting on the first two baskets and canning a three at 17:10 for a 37-26 SJC lead.

Both teams traded baskets over the next several minutes and USM pulled to within six points of the Monks, 41-35 on a layup from sophomore center Tanner Storey with 14:15 to play, but the Monks responded with a 9-2 run for a 50-37 lead. Four different players contributed to the run for SJC, highlighted by a three from Medeiros. From there USM never got any closer than nine points the rest of the way as the Monks cruised to the 70-56 final.

UMPI 72, SMCC 67

PRESQUE ISLE — Aaron Hutchins hit 7-of-12 3-point attempts on his way to scoring 30 points and leading the University of Maine-Presque Isle Owls to a 72-67 victory over Southern Maine Community College on Saturday afternoon.

The Owls (2-1) built a 13-point advantage early when a Hutchins jumper made it 25-12 with just under six minutes remaining in the half. UMPI would go on to take a 9-point advantage into the break 33-24.

UMPI never led by less than 7 points in the first 10 minutes of the second half. With 6:05 on remaining, SMCC (9-2) made its move. Three jumpers by Mike Harmon over the next three minutes fueled a 13-4 run that gave the SeaWolves a 64-62 advantage with 2:40 remaining.

A Michael Warner 3-point play then gave UMPI a lead it would not relinquish. After a Jayson Burke free throw, Warner nailed a three from the left wing to give UMPI a 69-64 lead with 48 seconds left to play.

Warner finished the game with 21 points on 7-of-13 shooting while Patrick Manifold chipped in 13.

Rhode Island College 45, Bates 43

LEWISTON, Maine — It was a defensive battle from beginning to end, and Rhode Island College came away with a 45-43 non-conference victory over the host Bates College men’s basketball team on Sunday afternoon. The Anchormen rise to 4-0, with their third straight victory by a margin of three or fewer points, while Bates’ record evens out at 2-2.

The Anchormen (4-0, who have made it to the NCAA Tournament for six consecutive years, shot only 32.7 percent from the field (17-52) but held Bates (2-2) to a lower rate, at 29.8 percent (17-57). RIC outrebounded Bates 44-36 and took advantage of Bates’ 6-13 shooting from the free-throw line (46.2%).

Only one player from each side scored in double digits: for RIC, Nyheem Sanders scored a game-high 19 points, including 3-5 three-point shooting. Chris Burton was a defensive force in the paint, grabbing 12 rebounds and blocking four shots to go with six points. Burton keyed RIC’s 26-18 advantage in points in the paint.

Ed Bogdanovich led Bates with his third straight double-double, with 12 points and 12 rebounds, though he shot a season-low 5-14 from the field. Bogdanovich also had three blocked shots. Mark Brust added nine points, Luke Matarazzo led Bates with three assists and three steals, and Mike Boornazian contributed six points and seven boards.

Sanders canned a three to open the game’s scoring, but Derek Murphy evened the score with a three from the right wing for the first of four ties in the first half. Brust scored seven straight points for the Bobcats midway through the half, capped by a free throw after an intentional foul was called against RIC, which gave Bates a 12-9 lead with 8:00 left in the game. Sanders drove one-on-one and finished with a spinning layup, but Graham Safford answered seconds later with a three-pointer, assisted by Luke Matarazzo for a 17-13 Bates lead, the Bobcats’ larges of the game.

Anchormen captain Tahrike Carter cut it to 17-15 with a layup, then answered a layup by Boornazian with a three to cut Bates’ lead to 19-18.

Following a Bogdanovich layup, Michael Palumbo drove along the weakside baseline for a layup to cut it to 21-20 with 2:36 left in the period, and the teams traded misses in the subsequent two minutes before Carter finished off the period with layup with 22 seconds left, returning the lead to the Anchormen at 22-21 at halftime.

RIC started out the second half with a free throw and a three by Nyheem Sanders for a five-point advantage. But over the next five minutes, Bates outscored RIC 10-1. Bogdanovich’s interior pass to Sean Cunningham for a layup got the run started, followed by a Matarazzo steal and a dunk by Bogdanovich on a feed by Brust. Bogdanovich then hit 1-of-2 free throws to tie the game back up at 26-26, then made 1-of-2 again on the next trip to regain the lead for Bates. The Anchormen missed six straight field goal attempts and turned the ball over three times in Bates’ run, which was capped by a Brust jumper that put Bates ahead 31-27 with 13:04 left in regulation.

Burton blocked a layup attempt by Bogdanovich on Bates’ next trip down, and Sanders’ layup at the other end narrowed the gap to two, while starting a run of 11 unanswered points by the Anchormen. Alex Cruz’s steal led to a three-point play for Sanders for a 32-31 RIC lead. Carter then made another key steal for RIC and Sanders fed Neal for a layup. A missed layup by Bates’ Cunningham turned into a three-pointer at the other end for Sanders for a 37-31 RIC lead. As the clock ticked under the 8:00 mark, RIC’s Carter was fouled by Bogdanovich and made one foul shot for a 38-31 Anchormen lead with 7:24 to go, the largest by either team for the whole game.

Bates charged back with a final run of its own. Matarazzo made a fallaway jumper, then fed Billy Selmon for a three after an RIC turnover to slice the lead to 38-36. Selmon then made 1-of-2 free throws on Bates’ next possession, missing the second, but Bogdanovich rebounded the miss, then made it 41-38 Bates with a bucket underneath, assisted by Safford.

Sanders got the points back with another driving, spinning layup, but Matarazzo cleverly rebounded his own missed three and made the putback before RIC could react, for a 43-40 Bates lead with 3:28 to go.

Burton then scored back-to-back hoops for the Anchormen, first putting back his own miss, then converting a lob from Carter on an inbounds play from underneath the hoop for a 44-43 lead with 1:56 left to play.

Bates missed its last three field goal attempts, and two free throws as well, over the final 1:26, while RIC countered with one more point on a free throw by Carter to account for the final margin.

UNE 70, College of St. Joe’s 63

BOSTON — The University of New England men’s basketball team used an 8-0 run early in the first half to erase a four-point deficit and never trailed again, finishing off a 70-63 victory over the College of St. Joseph (Vt.) in the consolation match of the 28th Annual Harbor Invitational hosted by UMass Boston at the Clark Athletic Gymnasium Saturday afternoon (Nov. 24).

The win was the first of the season for UNE (1-4).

Freshman Devin Thompson led the Nor’easters with a game-high 23 points, going 4-of-8 from long range. Junior Charles Fenner III added 21 points and six rebounds, and first-year Jesse Dykstra registered a double-double with 14 points, 13 boards, and three blocks. Dykstra was named to the All-Tournament Team for his efforts over the two days.

Dre Anderson tallied team-highs of 21 points and nine rebounds for the Fighting Saints, who also got 18 and 14 points from Ramel Anderson and Casey Hall, respectively.

St. Joseph grabbed a 10-5 advantage early on, and led 12-8 at the 14:41 mark. UNE scored the next eight — sparked by the only basket of the game from first-year Jake Abel, who also had five assists and six rebounds — and did not look back.

The margin reached as high as 11 inside the final five minutes of the first period before settling on a six-point difference at halftime (32-26). Big Blue out-scored its opponent 20-4 in the paint during the frame, and had a 16-3 edge in points off turnovers.

Within the initial two minutes of the second half, CSJ had trimmed the UNE cushion to 34-31. But the Nor’easters responded with a 15-2 spurt in a little over three minutes to push the lead to 16 (49-33).

Women’s basketball

SMCC 71, UMPI 69 (2OT)

PRESQUE ISLE — In a game in which neither team was able to extend a lead beyond five points, the visiting Seawolves from Southern Maine Community College knocked off UMaine-Presque Isle 71-69 in double overtime in women’s basketball action Saturday afternoon.

SMCC’s Rogetta Donalson hit a jump shot with 45 seconds remaining in the second overtime to give her team a 70-69 lead. In the ensuing possession the Owls were unable to regain the lead despite getting a jumper from Amanda Hotham and putback attempt by Brigitte Pratt.

Esther Palmieri hit a free throw with three seconds left to seal the win for 7-1 SMCC.

UMPI’s best opportunity for a win may have come at the end of the first overtime. Hotham hit a 3-pointer with :27 remaining to give the Owls a 64-62 lead. Needing one defensive stop, the Owls looked to get it when a wild shot from Southern Maine seemed destined to go out of bounds on the baseline. Instead, a diving save to Donalson led to a layup and a foul with a chance for the Seawolves to steal a win. Donalson could not convert the 3-point play however and the game continued to a second overtime.

The win moved SMCC to 7-1 on the season while the Owls fell to 0-3.

For 0-3 UMPI, Emily Pelletier scored 17 points while playing all 50 minutes in the contest due in part to an early injury to fellow starting guard Olivia McNally, who was unable to return. Doni Yendriga led all scorers with 19 points on 6-of-6 shooting from the floor.

Men’s hockey

Salve Regina 4, Colby 3

WATERVILLE, Maine —- William Gomolinski scored 1:38 into the third period and that goal stood up the rest of the way as the Salve Regina men’s hockey team held on for a 4-3 win over Colby College in the Bowdoin-Colby Face-Off Classic on Sunday at Alfond Rink.

Gomolinski scored his fourth goal of the season off an assist from Peter Gintoli.

Colby’s Nick Lanza, who scored a pair of goals to raise his season total to five, helped the Mules (1-4 overall) earn a 1-0 lead when he scored at 3:51 off the fourth assist of the season from Ben Chwick.

The Seahawks tied the game at 1-1 after one period when Michael Naso scored with 2:43 to intermission from Alex Barr.

Salve Regina (3-6 overall) received an unassisted goal at 3:14 of the second period from Marc Biggs, his seventh tally of the season.

Lanza tied the game again at 2-2 at 14:11 of the second period from Tommy Kader, but the Seahawks needed just 20 seconds to go up 3-2 on Cameron Gaudet’s fourth goal of the season from Shaun Altshuller and Naso.

Colby first-year Mike DeBello scored his first collegiate goal on the power play at 17:20 to make it 3-3 after two. Kader had his second assist of the night and Ray Zeek also assisted.

Mike McDonald had 22 saves in net for the Seahawks, while Colby’s Matt Delaney also made 22 saves.

UMass Boston 5, UNE 3

HOOKSETT, N.H. — Mike DeGrazia scored two goals and added an assist to help give University of Massachusetts Boston a 5-3 men’s ice hockey win over the University of New England Sunday (Nov. 25) afternoon in the championship game of the 2012 Manchester PAL Stovepipe Tournament hosted by Southern New Hampshire University.

The Beacons improve to 5-2-1 on the season, while the Nor’easters fall to 2-6-0. The tilt was a rematch of last season’s tourney finale when UNE came away with a shootout win to take home the Stovepipe Cup.

With the scored tied at 1-all and a period in the books, UMass Boston rattled off three consecutive goals over the opening 7:01 of the middle frame. Travis Daniel gave the Beacons a 2-1 advantage just 44 seconds in, then DeGrazia notched his second marker of the contest — and 10th of the year — at the 3:29 mark. Steven Weston scored what would be the game-winner less than four minutes later to complete the UMass Boston surge.

UNE climbed back to within two (4-2) when first-year Ryan Quinn scored his team-high fifth goal of the season at the 12:17 mark.

The score remained 4-2 for the first 19 minutes of the final period until Mike Miller scored a short-handed goal with Nor’easter goaltender Craig Ryan pulled.

The Nor’easters would grab a goal with 35 seconds left when Zeth Zielinski scored on the power play.

Each squad scored in the opening period, with DeGrazia doing the honors for UMB and Shayne Toohey putting home his first goal of hte season for UNE.

Daniel and Max Reavis finished with two assists apiece for the Beacons, who received 14 saves from Zach Andrews. UMass Boston held a commanding 48-17 advantage in shots on goal.

Adam Laite had a hand in all three UNE goals with a trio of assists, while Sam Vikich set-up two scores. Ryan was busy in goal, stopping a total of 43 shots.

Bowdoin 5, Suffolk 2

WATERVILLE, Maine —- Ollie Koo had three power-play goals in the first period and ninth-ranked Bowdoin College took a 5-2 victory over Suffolk University in a chippy non-conference game at the Bowdoin-Colby Face-Off Classic on Sunday at Colby’s Alfond Rink.

The two teams combined for 24 penalties and two game misconducts were handed out by the referees.

Koo, who also had an assist, had his first extra-man goal at 12:26 of the first period period off an assist from John McGinnis. Six penalties were already called in the game by that point.

Suffolk (3-4-1 overall) tied the game at 1-1 with a power play goal of its own. Carmen Mastrangelo scored his first goal of the season at 14:44 from Tim Sprague and Zack Capozza.

Bowdoin took advantage of two more Suffolk penalties in the final five minutes. Koo scored just five seconds after the first penalty from Harry Matheson and Daniel Weiniger at 15:24. Koo had his fifth goal of the season with just 25 seconds left to intermission from McGinnis and Matheson.

Koo had his fifth assist of the season and Weiniger had another assist on Timothy McGarry’s goal at 16:05 of the second period for a 4-1 Bowdoin lead.

The Polar Bears (4-0-1) made it 5-1 at 1:08 of the third period when Connor Quinn tallied off passes from Danny Palumbo and Nick Wetzel.

Charlie McGinnis scored at 8:33 of the period on the power play from Jon Stauffer for the final goal of the game.

Max Fenkell stopped 14 of his 30 saves in the third period for Bowdoin. Meanwhile, Brandon Smolarek had 39 stops for the Rams.

Colby 6, Suffolk 1

BRUNSWICK, Maine —- Four players scored their first collegiate goals and head coach Blaise MacDonald secured his first win with the Mules after the Colby College men’s hockey team took a 6-1 win over Suffolk University on Saturday during the first day of the Bowdoin-Colby Face-Off Classic at Bowdoin College.

The Mules (1-3 overall) will play host to Salve Regina at 4 p.m. Sunday on the second day of the event. Bowdoin will play Suffolk (3-3-1) at Alfond Rink at 1 p.m. The Polar Bears and Salve Regina play on Saturday night.

Tyler Lingel, Matt Gelnaw, Jonathan Sdao, and Robert McCormick all had their first collegiate goals for Colby. Nick Lanza and Spike Smigelski also tallied for the winners.

The Mules actually trailed 1-0 when Suffolk’s Steve Drago notched his third goal of the season, putting in a rebound in front at 5:05 of the first period.

Colby responded just 25 seconds later when Lingel finished off a scrum in front of the net off assists from Lanza and Cory McGrath.

The Mules had a 15-7 shot advantage in the opening 20 minutes and added three more goals after Lingel tallied. Gelnaw had a put-back at 7:50 off an assist from Ben Chwick. Lanza scored on the power play at 17:17 from McGrath and Scott Harff for a 3-1 lead. Smigelski then went top-shelf from Chwick and Gelnaw with only eight seconds left to intermission.

Sdao put the Mules up 5-1 at 2:16 of the third period off passes from Smigelski and Gelnaw. McCormick closed out the scoring at 17:35 from Smigelski and Brendon Bourgea.

Colby’s Matt Delaney made 14 of his 28 saves in the scoreless second period.

McGrath reached 25 assists for his career and has 13 goals to lead all current Colby players in career scoring with 38 points. Smigelski moved within one goal of 25 for his career and has 12 assists for 36 points.

Bowdoin 6, Salve Regina 5

BRUNSWICK, Maine – The Bowdoin College men’s ice hockey team skated to a four-goal lead and held off a late charge to defeat Salve Regina, 6-5, on the opening day of the Bowdoin-Colby Faceoff Classic on Saturday at Watson Arena.

The ninth-ranked Polar Bears improve to 3-0-1 and will face Suffolk University in Waterville at 1:00 p.m. The Seahawks drop to 2-6-0 and will play at Colby at 4:00 p.m. tomorrow.

Robert Toczylowski had two goals and an assist for Bowdoin while Daniel Weiniger pitched in a pair of goals. Peter Gintoli had two scores and a helper for Salve Regina.

Connor Quinn got the hosts on the board first when he intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and slipped a shot from the right slot inside the left post at 5:44. Gintoli was able to even the score for the Seahawks about five minutes later, taking advantage of a defensive miscue by the Polar Bears to net a breakaway score at 11:03. Bowdoin quickly regained the lead as Weinger collected a rebound to the right of the net and tucked the put-back inside the post just 46 seconds later. Toczylowski’s first goal of the night with 26 seconds left in the opening period gave the Polar Bears a 3-1 lead at intermission.

Another breakaway goal for Gintoli – this time shorthanded – drew the Seahawks within 3-2 just 3:11 into the second frame, but the Polar Bears erupted for three goals in a span of 2:03 to take a commanding 6-2 edge later in the stanza. Kyle Lockwood deked Salve netminder David Chiokadze out of position and slipped the puck into an open net at 13:42 before a rebound goal by Weiniger came 34 seconds later. Toczylowski wristed a top-shelf goal at 15:45 to give the hosts a four-goal advantage. A Chase Davis put-back for Salve at 16:57 drew the visitors to within 6-3 at the end of two periods.

John Scorcia made it 6-4 by beating a Bowdoin defender 1-on-1 at 9:53 of the final frame, drawing a penalty in the process. On the ensuing power play, Marc Biggs deposited a slap shot into the top right corner, drawing Salve to within 6-5 with 8:28 remaining. Both teams traded blows over the final minutes but neither would find the back of the net again as the Polar Bears clung to the one-goal victory.

Steve Messina made 34 saves in net for the Polar Bears. Chiokadze allowed all six of Bowdoin’s goals over the first 35:45, making 24 saves before being replaced by Mike McDonald, who stopped ten shots in 22:58 of play.

Women’s Hockey

Colby 4, UMass Boston 3 (OT)

BOSTON —- Megan Fortier scored with just 16 seconds left in overtime and Brianne Wheeler stopped 31 shots to power the Colby College women’s hockey team to a 4-3 win over University of Massachusetts at Boston on Sunday in non-conference play.

The Mules have won two straight games and stand at 2-2 overall heading into a big home game with Bowdoin College on Friday at 7 p.m.

Annie Papadellis had two goals, while Samantha Slotnick had one goal and one assist for the Mules. Papadellis has a team-best four goals on the season and Slotnick has two goals and two assists.

UMass Boston used a strong final 35 minutes of the contest to earn the edge statistically. The Beacons had a 34-29 shot advantage and won 36 face-offs, compared to 31 for Colby College.

Slotnick got the Mules going in the first period when she slipped a shot by Casey Schaejbe at the 9:39 mark. Lauren Guarente picked up an assist on the score.

Almost 10 minutes later, Papadellis doubled the Mules lead, when she took passes from Fortier and Slotnick and rammed a shot by Schaejbe at 19:23.

With the two teams playing 4-on-4 early in the second period, Papadellis won a face-off and shot the puck high over Schaejbe’s shoulder to make it 3-0 Colby College.

Colby’s momentum would not last very long, as Dylan Caron made it 3-1 at 9:43 of the second period. On what looked like a broken play, Sarahanne Cavolo sent a pass to Caron, who notched her first goal of the season and seventh of her career.

Emily LaRosa would put the pressure on Colby College just over two minutes later, when Katie Loiselle and Kayla Kiernan set up LaRosa to make it 3-2 at the 11:33 mark. Head coach David Venditti immediately called timeout to help settle his team and it paid off as the two teams would go scoreless for over 25 minutes.

Despite a strong finish to the second period and a strong third, the Beacons struggled to find the equalizer through the first 19 minutes of the third.

The Beacons finally tied the score at 3-3 when they pulled Schaejbe with just over 80 seconds to play. After a timeout, the Beacons six skaters took their time and LaRosa found Caron in the slot for a high shot that just barely beat Wheeler at 19:31 of the third period.

Colby dominated the first two minutes of the overtime, but could not put a shot on net. The Beacons responded with two aggressive minutes of play and just missed out on the game winner. Loiselle, camped out just outside the crease on the far side, received a pass with Wheeler out of position. However, her hard shot went just wide.

Fortier would make the Beacons pay just over a minute later when she and Shei skated in and put pressure on the Beacons’ defense. The Colby fore-check was so strong that a Beacons defender turned over the puck when falling to the ground, and just seconds later Fortier emptied her team’s bench by finding the back of the net.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like