Town collects donations for Dresden firefighter whose home burned down on Thanksgiving

Posted Nov. 23, 2012, at 5:59 p.m.

DRESDEN, Maine — Donations to help a family that lost its home to a Thanksgiving Day fire are being accepted at the town office.

Albert and Rosemary Lilly were out of their home at 1115 Middle Road when it burned; they were having their holiday meal at their daughter’s home.

Fire Chief Gerald Lilly, Albert Lilly’s brother, said that a wood stove caused the fire, which triggered the explosion of a propane tank. The two-story home was totally involved when he arrived at the scene, he said.

The Red Cross has set the couple up with a temporary residence at a motel in Edgecomb, Chief Lilly said.

Meanwhile, donations to help the family can be directed to the town office. The office is open from 1 to 6 p.m. Monday, 10 a.m. to 5 p.m. Tuesday, 9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Wednesday, 1 to 8 p.m. Thursday, 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. Friday and 9 a.m. to noon Saturday.

Chief Lilly said his brother’s home was insured.

“But he realizes he doesn’t have anything left,” Gerald Lilly said. “He can only get better from here.”

Recommend this article

SEE COMMENTS →

ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business
ADVERTISEMENT | Grow your business

Similar Articles

More in Midcoast