COLUMBIA, Maine — “I’m just glad they all got out.”
Ingrid Holmes, 26, of Machiasport was still somewhat in shock Friday when she told the tale of rescuing four people from what could have been a fatal fire.
Holmes and her mother, Darlene Gebo, were delivering newspapers Thursday morning to 114 Bangor Daily News subscribers when she noticed that a mobile home across the street from one of her last deliveries was on fire, a mobile home on Webb District Road owned by Chester Grant.
“I saw all this smoke coming out the house, and we pulled in, and I laid on the horn,” she said Friday. “I was just shaking, never been in a situation like that. I called 911 and then went into the home, shouting, ‘Is there anyone in here?’ There was a 15-year-old who came out, and a 30-year-old, who was trying to put out the fire with a pot of water. Eventually, he came out, too.”
Two other adults also fled the fire and were able to rescue pets, Holmes said.
She has delivered the Bangor Daily News for about two months, typically starting her route at about 2:30 a.m. and finishing at about 5:30 a.m. each delivery day.
“This was across the street from one of the last places I had to deliver to, a dead-end road,” she said. “My worst fear has always been coming up to somebody’s house and seeing it on fire. I’m just glad everybody got out.”
Efforts to contact members of the Grant family on Friday were unsuccessful. David Grindle, first lieutenant with the Columbia Fire Department, said Thursday that the Grants were staying with relatives after the fire. He said the BDN carrier alerted the family and reported the fire.
Holmes said it was a special Thanksgiving on Thursday, knowing that she helped to prevent a tragedy.
“I came home to my husband and said, ‘How does it feel to have your wife be a hero?’
“It was a special day.”