May 27, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | George HW Bush | Memorial Day | Long Creek

US marshal to Cameron: Call to arrange voluntary surrender

U.S. Marshals Service | BDN
U.S. Marshals Service | BDN
James Cameron
By Judy Harrison, BDN Staff

HALLOWELL, Maine — The search for the state’s former top drug prosecutor convicted on federal charges related to his possession of child pornography continued Wednesday after a search of his ex-wife’s home Tuesday.

“We searched [her] home to determine if [James Cameron] was hiding there,” Maine’s U.S. Marshal Noel March said Wednesday in a telephone interview. “That possibility has now been ruled out.”

March said Cameron’s ex-wife consented to the search.

“We will work on this case through the Thanksgiving holiday,” March said about 5:30 p.m. Wednesday in a text message. “I encourage Mr. Cameron to contact us at 780-3355 to arrange his voluntary surrender, or present himself at the nearest police station.”

Cameron, 50, of Rome cut off his ankle bracelet and disappeared after learning a federal appeals court in Boston had thrown out six of his convictions but upheld the other seven.

Before disappearing, Cameron visited his ex-wife and son in Hallowell.
She told Bryce Turgeon, the probation officer who supervised Cameron, that her ex-husband was “not doing well” and had told their son he would be returning to prison, court documents said.

March declined to comment on whether he was concerned that Cameron might harm himself.

Cameron was sentenced to 16 years in federal prison. He served about six months before being released on bail pending a decision by the 1st U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals on his appeal.

After he was arraigned on the charges in February 2009, Cameron was released on $75,000 unsecured bail with conditions that he be released to the custody of his brother, Daniel Cameron, in Westland, Mich., surrender his passport, wear an electronic monitor and have limited use of the Internet.

Conditions also called for Cameron’s Internet use to be monitored by the U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services office in Detroit, Mich., with special software to be installed on a computer at his brother’s home.

Cameron was free on the same bail and conditions, but was allowed to live in Maine when he jumped bail.

“We’re coordinating with other authorities and working leads inside and outside of Maine,” the marshal said.

Cameron was not the only federal defendant on bail who cut off his ankle bracelet last week. Alan Gillotti, 50, of Ludlow was arrested Monday after he removed his electronic monitoring device the previous day, according to documents filed in federal court in Bangor. On Tuesday, U.S. Magistrate Judge Margaret Kravchuk revoked Gillotti’s bail and ordered that he undergo a psychiatric evaluation.

The office of U.S. Probation and Pretrial Services learned from a Houlton Regional Hospital emergency room nurse, who knew Gillotti was required to wear the ankle bracelet, that Gillotti had removed the monitor.
Information about why he had cut off the bracelet is not included in court documents.

Gillotti pleaded not guilty in September to possession of an unregistered short-barrel shotgun. The charges were lodged after Gillotti call 911 on April 25 to report that he had accidentally shot himself in the foot. When police arrived, a Maine State Trooper searched Gillotti’s bedroom and found a .410-caliber shotgun and a .22-caliber rifle, according to court documents.

The defendant told investigators he got the gun when he found his cat fighting outside with another animal he suspected was a fox or raccoon.
Court documents do not explain if police found the cat or if it was injured.

Anyone with information on Cameron’s whereabouts is asked to contact the Marshals Service office in Portland at 780-3355 or the the service’s national headquarters at 1-877-WANTED2.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like