June 22, 2018
Hancock Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Pride | Maple Syrup

Hancock man charged twice in 5 days with threatening wife

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff

ELLSWORTH, Maine — A Hancock man was arrested Wednesday and is expected to remain in jail through the holiday weekend after he allegedly threatened his estranged wife for the second time in five days.

Michael Carter, 38, is facing a total of six criminal charges as a result of the two similar incidents.

According to the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department, Carter showed up at his wife’s house in Penobscot on Nov. 16 and began pounding on the walls of the home from outside. The incident was reported to be a continuation of a dispute between Carter and his wife that had started in Bucksport earlier that day, police said.

Carter left the property but deputies tracked him down driving on Route 15 in Sedgwick, where he was taken into custody and then to Maine Coast Memorial Hospital in Ellsworth for a mental evaluation, Hancock County Sheriff’s Deputy Chris Thornton wrote in a summary of the incident. From the hospital, Carter was taken to Hancock County Jail in Ellsworth and charged with criminal trespass and domestic violence terrorizing, Thornton indicated.

Five days later, around 11 a.m. Wednesday morning, Carter returned to his wife’s house, went inside and allegedly attacked her, according to Trooper Greg Roy of Maine State Police. A family member called the police and Carter left, prompting police to start looking for him again.

Around midday, an Ellsworth Police officer on Red Bridge Road spotted Carter and took him into custody, Roy said.

The trooper said no significant injuries resulted from the alleged altercation Wednesday in Penobscot and that no one required medical treatment as a result of it. Roy said he did not have additional details about how Carter was found on Red Bridge Road or where exactly on the road Carter was when he was arrested.

Carter was charged Wednesday with domestic violence assault, aggravated criminal trespass, criminal threatening with a dangerous weapon — a knife in this case — and unlawful sexual touching, Roy said.

The trooper said Carter will spend the Thanksgiving holiday behind bars.

“He’s going to be there likely until Monday, when he [appears before] a judge,” Roy said.

Follow BDN reporter Bill Trotter on Twitter at @billtrotter.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like