Phippsburg man arrested after getting stuck in chimney

By Darcie Moore, Times Record
Posted Nov. 19, 2012, at 8:41 a.m.

PHIPPSBURG— He’s heard about it happening, but Phippsburg Fire Chief James Totman said this was the first time he’s ever seen someone stuck in a chimney.

Totman said the fire department got the call around 5:15 a.m. Saturday for a 19-year-old male stuck in a chimney at the 55 Heron Cove Road home. Totman estimated the man was lodged about 4 feet down from the top of the chimney. The furnace, which vents into the chimney, was shut off, Totman said.

Firefighters had roof ladders extended on both sides of the chimney, but the roof was so steep the Bath Fire Department responded with a ladder truck. Firefighters used it to swing over the chimney, take bricks down and get to the 19-year-old.

The fire chief estimated there wasn’t more than a foot one way and about 10 inches the other of clearance in the chimney. It took crews about 45 minutes to free the man, who may have been cleaning the chimney.

“How he got there I couldn’t tell you,” Totman said. “He was in the chimney and we had to take the chimney down. I’ve never seen it before in my life.”

Totman said the man was fine after being freed from the chimney. Phippsburg EMS was on scene and checked him over.

Police then took custody of him. Cody Ayer, 19, was arrested at the scene on a parole violation by Sagadahoc County Sheriff’s Deputy Adam Temple and transported to Two Bridges Regional Jail in Wiscasset.

 

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/11/19/news/midcoast/phippsburg-man-arrested-after-getting-stuck-in-chimney/ printed on September 17, 2014