June 23, 2018
Mid-Maine Latest News | Poll Questions | Border Patrol | Energy Scam | Toxic Moths

Newport firefighters contain late-night apartment blaze

Alex Barber | BDN
Alex Barber | BDN
Newport and Corinna fire crews battle a late-night fire in an apartment at 150 Main Street in Newport on Wednesday, Nov. 14, 2012. Nobody was injured.
By Alex Barber, BDN Staff

NEWPORT, Maine — No one was injured when a fire broke out in an apartment on Main Street late Wednesday night.

A fire started in a second floor apartment at 150 Main St. before 11 p.m. Wednesday, said Newport Fire Chief Jeff Chretien on Thursday.

“We had it knocked down pretty quick,” said Chretien.

He said a state fire marshal determined it was an electrical fire.

Newport police evacuated tenants in the apartment building before fire crews arrived.

“When we got there, it was just light smoke from the exterior,” said Chretien. “There wasn’t a lot of fire, just a lot of smoke and heat and it kind of smoldered. It was contained to one room, but there was some heat and smoke damage. The guys did a good stop and did a good job stopping it right where it started and not causing a lot personal property damage.”

The Corinna Fire Department and Sebasticook Valley Health EMS assisted Newport police and fire crews at the scene. Chretien said his crew cleared out before 1:30 a.m. Thursday.

Chretien said it’s the first fire the Newport Fire Department had battled in Newport since a blaze at a home on the Williams Road on Oct. 4.

Have feedback? Want to know more? Send us ideas for follow-up stories.

You may also like