Hancock man who reported ‘robbery’ charged with assault

By Bill Trotter, BDN Staff
Posted Nov. 15, 2012, at 4:08 p.m.

HANCOCK, Maine — A local man is facing multiple charges after he called police during the weekend to tell them he was being robbed outside his home.

When police showed up at Donald Tozier’s house around 4 a.m. Sunday, however, they found no robbery had occurred. Instead, they found a man who allegedly had been “severely beaten” by Tozier, according to the Hancock County Sheriff’s Department.

Deputy Shane Campbell said Thursday that Tozier, 44, apparently had become convinced he was going to be robbed by a man he had been drinking with and two other men who were not there. After drinking with the victim for several hours, Tozier allegedly attacked the man with his fists and feet and demanded to know who was going to rob him, Campbell said.

“Alcohol was definitely a factor,” Campbell said of the incident. “[The victim] was not allowed to stand up or to move for two hours.”

The victim, a 42 year-old man who lives next door to Tozier, was taken by ambulance to Maine Coast Memorial Hospital in Ellsworth and treated for a broken nose and a possible broken jaw. He was released the next day, according to the deputy.

“He is healing from his wounds,” Campbell said.

Tozier was arrested on charges of aggravated assault, criminal restraint and terrorizing, according to sheriff’s department records on the incident. Tozier initially was denied bail but since has been released from Hancock County Jail, Campbell said.

Additional details, such as Tozier’s bail amount and a possible court date, were not immediately available Thursday.

Follow BDN reporter Bill Trotter on Twitter at @billtrotter.

http://bangordailynews.com/2012/11/15/news/hancock/hancock-man-who-reported-robbery-charged-with-assault/ printed on October 31, 2014